TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellas?

I would like to hear some opinions on what to do with my HG problem,
Every mechanic tells me something different.
Some tell me it's better to replace the HG, and others say if i replace the HG, the bottom end of the engine can go anytime especially with 135,000 miles on it......they say it's not worth it, some others tell me tto get a new car, and then others tell me Junk Yard engines are too risky....you can get a junk engine, and then your screwed.

Any suggestions? all help would be appreciated.
Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
347 Posts
junkyard engines arent that great unless it was a low mile wreck or maybe a blown tranny, for 300-400 your going to probably buy what you already have, i have seen later model 3.8 with like 50k go for 400-600 on ebay, but not many on there and shipping adds atleast 100 unless its local

Mine was in the same shape yours is when i replaced my hg's, heads were flat and in good shape no machining required, car runs smooter and stronger after doing this, the cylinder bores were in great shape and had factory cross hatch in them and no ridge, my main bearings are worn but cars runs great, and it only cost me one hundred bux but i labored

On edit: also most junkyards wont leave you high and dry on a bad motor, usually 30-90 day warranty, and they usually know what cars come in that run good and dont, dont think the junkman isnt out to make a good dollar too

·
Registered
57 Posts
You know my opinion on this one! I would rebuild if it was me. I think a wrecking yard engine will be about the same as what you have now. And after seeing my bearings after a blown head gasket I wouldnt take the risk of just changing the head gaskets on a high mileage engine.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Or just do the 4.2L.;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you are worried about junkyard engine it is very easy to do a compresion check on them, and pull the oil pan to take a look at those bearings!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts