TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
should i do it? my boss has a chevy 350 that came out of a cop car and is giving it to me for FREE !!!,it has roller lifters,roller cams,self centering rocker arms/or comp cam roller rockers,1 piece rear main seal,all brackets and pieces, edelbrock intake,and a edelbrock 750 carb thunder series.

what do you guys think?
what would be the benefits of switching out my 4.6 281 for a 350?
is it a sin to use a chevy engine in a ford car?

boss has a work shop with all tools and can help me install.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sin is putting it mildly, nevermind all the alterations you would require to do it. Trans, drive shaft, wiring...on and on.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Do you have to take emmissions tests? Do you have money to do you have money to do the swap. It will take some money as; custom motor mounts, custom driveshaft, custom linkage, might need custom manifolds? Is this a daily driver? your only car?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I can tell you that most of the folks on here will tell you its sacrilege... But, it is your car.

However it will take custom motor mounts, complete rewiring, new transmission, custom driveshaft and tranny mount. There are guys who have put small block fords in their cars, but then at one time small block fords came in these cars so some of the parts necessary are available (motor mounts etc)..... you'd be looking at a lot of work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i am willing to put the money into it,we are going to rebuild it first and replace bearings and gaskets and on and on,this is my only car but i am planning to get all the parts and have a fully rebuilt engine before i actually switch it out, have a hook up on another OD transmission also.

we are going to make custom engine mounts and ect.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Keep us updated on it. I personally was going to do a LS1 swap but came up with a spare Ford engine. I say do it. Ford cuttin' you any checks?

SWS

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If you do ... buy another car as a daily driver.​
wife is getting a family vehicle ! i will pimp a mini-van or some**** if i have to:D but why should i have another car? this wouldnt be good as a daily driver?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Why are you interested in a step backwards in technology? Just the cubic inches?

A simple DOHC swap with a Vortech would probably be cheaper as what you are considering.

Yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat. But spending more time and money to skin said cat, really isn't the wisest thing to do (in most people's opinions).

And it will be the little things that will drive you nuts: Cooling system, fuel system, gear shift lever ratio, hood clearance, etc. etc. etc. And resale will be non-existant. Yeah, you don't plan on selling it... We've all heard that before! :D

IMHO, by the time you spend the time and money to bolt a 350 into an MN12, you could have bought a Camaro and had a lot more fun actually driving it.

But just my .02 as was said, it is your car...

·
Registered
799 Posts
uh....no!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Don't. Not just no, but hell no.
Not just because it's a Chevy motor in a Ford, but also because it's nowhere near worth the trouble. And, I'd say it would actually be a little slower than it would be with the stock 4.6, but I don't know much on 350's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't. Not just no, but hell no.
Not just because it's a Chevy motor in a Ford, but also because it's nowhere near worth the trouble. And, I'd say it would actually be a little slower than it would be with the stock 4.6, but I don't know much on 350's.
really? a 350 would be slower than the 4.6? everyone i know says otherwise,but then again they dont own a mn-12, this particular one came off a interceptor police edition.

i think its its way faster than stock

·
Registered
893 Posts
really? a 350 would be slower than the 4.6? everyone i know says otherwise,but then again they dont own a mn-12, this particular one came off a interceptor police edition.

i think its its way faster than stock
I wouldn't know for sure, but FWIW I raced a friend with an 84 Corvette with the Crossfire Injection 350 and they seemed about equal.

And what is an "interceptor police edition"?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
This has the makings of becoming an epic thread...

And it will be the little things that will drive you nuts: Cooling system, fuel system, gear shift lever ratio, hood clearance, etc. etc. etc.
+1 It's easy to say "aww piece of cake...I'm gonna do_____" and then Reality says otherwise. Yeah, simple. Yank this motor and drop that one in. But Reality says nothing fits. Cut this and weld that. Reality says the electrical things won't work together. Cut them, splice those, and bypass that. There's a PCM involved....now what? Put a piece of tape over the CEL or pull the bulb? It will never seem to end and it won't just be nuts and bolts so if this is going to be your daily driver....once you get started on it you won't be doing any driving with it for quite some time. Don't fool yourself; this is not going to be a weekend of wrenching.

Maybe it's a screaming deal on a 3-fitty, but with all the headaches involved it won't add up and make any sense.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
This has the makings of becoming an epic thread...

+1 It's easy to say "aww piece of cake...I'm gonna do_____" and then Reality says otherwise. Yeah, simple. Yank this motor and drop that one in. But Reality says nothing fits. Cut this and weld that. Reality says the electrical things won't work together. Cut them, splice those, and bypass that. There's a PCM involved....now what? Put a piece of tape over the CEL or pull the bulb? It will never seem to end and it won't just be nuts and bolts so if this is going to be your daily driver....once you get started on it you won't be doing any driving with it for quite some time. Don't fool yourself; this is not going to be a weekend of wrenching.

Maybe it's a screaming deal on a 3-fitty, but with all the headaches involved it won't add up and make any sense.
but in the end it will be all worth it. it doesnt take much to make that motor faster than yir crappy 4.6L romeo block. ooops.... did i say that? ****! i'm using a chevy alternator for **** sakes lol! uh oh.... its getting hot in here... i know i may have offended a few on here. JUST DO IT!!!! it will be cool to see an mn12 chevved. but for the love of ****... i hope you got thick skin but im on yir side

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
way to much work for not enough gain.

you would have a lot better gain and it'd be a lot easier to find a 5.4 supercharged mustang motor. it'll cost you but hell a gt 500 motor in a man12 with irs now thats the true kr.

just swapping over the 350 is going to cost yo quite a bit you'll need a new computer, wire harness, motor mounts would be very interesting, transmission needs to be changed all in all you would have to change the entire drive train and eltronics of the car for a hell of a lot of money or you could do it the easy way and buy a gt500 motor and flash the computer to work with it for pretty close to the smae price to buy a new tranny and computer and all that fun stuff.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'll have to remember that putting a 5.4 dohc motor in a thunderbird is the easy way... 'Clueless Poster' is an understatement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$5 this doesnt get done ever lol
if it will make my car faster than the 4.6 would have, not only will i get it done but i will drive to you and challenge you to a race!!!!!!!

for 10 dollars!:D:D lol j/k

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.