TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should it cost to just replace valve seals on two heads? With the heads already off the motor. Just the labor on replaciong the seals? 4.6L

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
depending on the machine shop, less than 1 hour labor. That is, prvided that is all they are doing. Most shops around here will do a good valve job and check/clean up the heads for $120/set.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok just needed a ball park. thank you

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Seals cost about $50/set IIRC. Removing the springs is the most time consuming part, removing the actual seals is a piece of cake. I thought the valve locks were going to be a total pain to reinstall, but it turned out not to be that bad.

·
Registered
921 Posts
do it yourself, $70 tool you can rent out to friends.... or sell to me when your done for $50!

...nevermind, you already have the heads off. You can still sell me the tool for $50...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just wanted to know because i think im about to get into a spout with my mechanic. when we rebuilt the motor he wanted 500 bucks to clean up the heads... take valves out etc and make sure there were no leaks etc. i said that seemed way high.

the problem here in cancun is that there are not many good machinest you can trust... he went on and on how he couldnt guarentee the job if we didnt do a good clean on the heads... my idea was to LEAVE them... I only has 25k on the motor and they are in perfect shape....

well then he convinced me to do the work... but he said he talked to the machinest and they would do it for 250 bucks. I said ok.

well now that its all said and done.... i think my valves are leaking oil. some of my plugs were pretty drenched in oil... im still at 180 miles on the motor... maybe its blow from the rings...

but now hes saying that the machinest didnt touch the valves... that he just replaced the valve seals!!!! So now im thinking ok... so you mean to tell me you charged me 250bucks to change seals ONLY.

from what you fellow tccoa friends are telling me it should be around 125 job for valve seal charge on both heads.... PLUS im in mexico.... even at 125 bucks thats a lot here.

so before i go crazy im going to get my tune dialed in and break her in with about 1,500 miles and then see where im at.

I just got my wideband LM1 and my Xcal2.... hopefully ill be dialed in soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey awdRocks, where in Cancun do you live and what do you do there?

I spend quite a bit of time there every year and am heading down to Coz again in November to get some dive time in.

I'll be its a real pain to get parts in that part of Mexico. Not a lot of highways going in so everything must have to come in by boat or via air.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live downtown in Cancun. I actually lived in Cozumel for 4 years before here. I just moved to Cancun this Dec.

Here on the main land they have a lot of stores and a ford dealer. Problem is... everything I NEED ... no one has ..hehe

I just order from Cali and have it fedexed. Cozumel has a few dealers... just recenly opened a Ford... but its more of a sales building. No service. Since Cozumel is an island... yes everything is hard and expensive to get.

Drop me a line when you come out... we will hook up for sure. That would be cool. Im in telecommunications. Our specialty is providing VoIP or IP phone calls to hotels and counties.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well im suspecting I have bad valve seals.

What do you think???

here are my symptoms:

Car blows smoke only at start up, or when I take off from a stop light. It builds up. When the engine is cold... it really does not blow smoke at all.... only when she gets to operating temp.

If I stay in "drive" at a stop light.... the longer I sit there the worse the smoke gets. After a little while I can see the smoke creeping to the side of my doors..... and when I leave the light... PUUUUFFFFF..... pretty bad.

If I put it in "neutral" at the light..... its MUCH less smoke... about half of the condition I just explained above.

What I do to reduce the smoke is before I come to a complete stop I put her in neutral and coast to a stop... and im on the gas a little... reving it up some so the oil doesnt build.... if the red light takes to long I still get smoke coming out under revs.

Out of the 8 plugs only 3 of them are pretty wet in oil.

And in only 80 miles I burned a complete quart of oil.

Compression check on all cyclinders were from 150-155. Engine only has 182 miles on new rebuild.

???

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the plugs. Plug #8 has 182 miles on it. The rest of the plugs I just wire cleaned about 10 miles ago.... 1-7 has about 10 miles worth of driving after being cleaned.... but all have 182 miles of use.

I would also like to add that these plugs have been out for about a week now... this is not a fresh pic right out of the cyclinders.

AND im running rich.... im getting about 8mpg. Im working on that tune now.

They only changed my valve seals on the head work.... (so they say).

Prior to my bebuild my plugs were in perfect condition... no oil on any of them.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now have NO cats at all. New for this rebuild

1 - 11 of 11 Posts