TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting new shocks and springs for my '92 LX. I've found the front mount rubbers top and bottom but I can't find anything for the rear springs or rear shockss. Is there some parts needed for the rear spring install and shock install in addition to the springs?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Cobra IRS Rear Spring Insulators

Save some $$$, and pick up two sets of Rear Spring Insulators from LaurelMountainMustang.com

Here's a link-->>1999 - 2004 Mustang Cobra IRS (poly rear spring insulators) [part#6-1709-BL]

These were intended for the 99-04 Mustang Cobra w/IRS, but will fit MN12 stock & aftermarket rear coil springs just fine..

You would see an increase in the ride height of the rear end of the car if you were installing these to replace old squished worn-out rubber insulators..

Using the poly rear spring insulators paired with stock rear coil springs..They shouldn't make the rear end of the car sit any higher than it came originally though..

Oh yeah..Make sure you grease the hell out of these insulators with white lithium grease..Poly is annoyingly squeaky when it hasn't been greased..

Rayo..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rayo but they want $16 to ship. I may shop around a little more.

·
Super Moderator
12,561 Posts

·
Administrator
8,220 Posts
Is it $19.95 each or for a pair at Laurel Mountain? :confused: I was thinking $19.95 X 4! :eek:

Joe

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll probably buy but I've read mustang guys put a coil of heater hose on the spring and do fine. Maybe this and the old isolators?

·
Super Moderator
12,561 Posts
I'll probably buy but I've read mustang guys put a coil of heater hose on the spring and do fine. Maybe this and the old isolators?
Never heard of the heater hose trick. It sounds half-assed to me ...

Is it $19.95 each or for a pair at Laurel Mountain? :confused: I was thinking $19.95 X 4! :eek:

Joe
$19.95 for a pair, $39.90 for a set ... shipping not included ... :tongue:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'd rather be called Cheesy like a Cheetoh. I have seen a General Contractor's truck labeled "Half Fast Construction" though and it made me chuckle.

I read about the heater hose while looking for a lower price on Google. It would probably last as long as I will be driving the car. It's not like it's going to make a wheel fall off. The Mustang guys were all about wanting control over ride height and saving money. Some were bottoming out with lowering springs and no isolators and wanted stock isolators for more ride height. Others weren't as low and could use something shorter than stock for an isolator. One guy wrote in to suggest cutting a piece of rubber the size of the spring contact flat. I think I can find thicker heater hose than plain rubber though.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If $60 to make your vehicle stable and uniform in both performance and ride height is too much, I don't even know what to say. I'm usually a cheap azz but this takes the cake. Remind me not to buy your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
You'd be better off running no isolators at all, at least moisture wouldn't get trapped in the hose and rot the springs away.

I'm all for cheap solutions but this solution sucks. The isolators are there because the rear springs in these cars don't have flattened end coils, thus they meed isolators to spread the load of the coil full coil evenly in the LCA/fframe perches. Without them or with a hose wrapped around them the spring is only going to be partially contacting their perches and will indeed be unstable and noisy.

Cheapscate Mustang advice is very very seedy. Keep in mind a savvy owner of one can bargain hunt for used quality parts and piece together up a very competent all around setup for less than a grand. The ones that can't seem get past lame exterior crap and ignore everything under the skin are dolts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll do you one better. I found these to install with my H&R springs. Free shipping too!
http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-svt-cobra-terminator/03-04-svt-cobra/suspension/springs/spring-isolators
No reason not to buy these, unless out of stock, because they are cheaper than the price of the other ones alone with (Free Shipping)! So you win all the way around. One thing over the years of working with this car is that these guys don't steer you wrong. The guys that responded has had their cars apart quite a bit. Their experiences have saved me time and money. I'd say spend the money wisely this time and do it and be done with it for good.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I'll do you one better. I found these to install with my H&R springs. Free shipping too!
Spring Isolators Springs Suspension 2003-2004 Ford SVT Cobra
No reason not to buy these, unless out of stock, because they are cheaper than the price of the other ones alone with (Free Shipping)! So you win all the way around.
You would still have to buy 2 kits..There is 2 different pairs of insulators in that kit..Only one of which we can use on our cars..

The 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra uses the same lower rear insulator as the MN12..

The 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra uses a different upper rear insulator than the ones used on the MN12..

The MN12 uses the same insulators on the top, and the bottom of the rear coil spring..

You can see the difference in these pictures between the upper rear spring perch used on the Cobra vs the MN12..
Cobra (IRS) Rear Spring Perch.JPG
MN12 Rear Spring Perch.JPG

IMO..If Ford would have thought the upper rear spring insulator used on the MN12 would have been suitable for the Cobra they would have used it..

Instead they used a Mustang specific upper rear spring insulator based on the shape of the upper rear spring perch used on the Cobra..

IMO..Our cars would be better suited to use only the lower rear insulator offered for the 99-04 (IRS) Mustang Cobra..

Since our cars do not share the same upper rear spring perches..

Rayo..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Matt, all the isolators do is reduce noise and vibration. I don't think Ford relied on them to keep the car on the road. I think many would agree with me and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I know up front the springs seat at a special rotation and the isolators/mounts have that special rotation formed into them. I have new front strut mounts and front isolators in hand to look at.

Dratech09, thanks for the link. Those look a lot thinner than the original spring cups linked at SCP Performance for $80. I'm also seeing that the upper part looks to have different hole diameter from varying parts examples. I'm buying for new Vogtland 0.9" progressive springs and I guess I will wait until I have them to see how narrow they spiral down to at the top. If the hole in the isolator is too big for my progressive springs they won't provide $5 worth of isolation.

Thanks for the photos Rayo. How will the progressive Vogtlands work with the upper perch? I don't see what holds the spring in place. I need to look again at the SCP part and Vogtland springs.

·
Super Moderator
12,561 Posts
They work great. I've had them on my car for years.

and installed:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh ok I guess I will only use the lowers as I'm not buying another kit. Thanks for the heads up Rayo. And you're welcome Gordonm1.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
Matt, all the isolators do is reduce noise and vibration. I don't think Ford relied on them to keep the car on the road. I think many would agree with me and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I know up front the springs seat at a special rotation and the isolators/mounts have that special rotation formed into them. I have new front strut mounts and front isolators in hand to look at.
Gordon, no, they're there to seat the spring uniformly in the flat perches. The reason the fronts need to be clocked a certain way is the same reason the rears need those molded rubber/poly isolators. The fronts have stamped perches on the shock (not strut) to match the bottom coil position and distribute the full spring load evenly across a full coil, the rears are totally flat.

Also I'm not disappointed as I really don't care if a bunch of armchair engineer Mustang owners endorse this idea. The isolators are made out of rubber for NVH reasons but their design is pure function.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rayo would your link require two spring kits be purchased per spring wasting some parts?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts