TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving to work today and the upper ball joint pinch bolt broke!!! luckily enough, it didnt do any damage but i managed to limp the car the last 1/4 mile to work. drove over some rail road tracks and BAM! bolt broke holding the upper ball joint in the spindle. everything faired ok, just melted the inside edge of the tire where it was rubbing the strut.

so if you never think of replacing your bolts when doing suspension work, REPLACE THEM! good thing i was only going like 35mph, could have been nasty going 75!

·
Registered
336 Posts
ALWAYS! I always replace my suspension bolts!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

driving to work today and the upper ball joint pinch bolt broke!!! luckily enough, it didnt do any damage but i managed to limp the car the last 1/4 mile to work. drove over some rail road tracks and BAM! bolt broke holding the upper ball joint in the spindle. everything faired ok, just melted the inside edge of the tire where it was rubbing the strut.

so if you never think of replacing your bolts when doing suspension work, REPLACE THEM! good thing i was only going like 35mph, could have been nasty going 75!
Also. please torque them to the correct spec. I believe its around 60ft/lbs give or take. They have prevailing torque retainers to prevent loosening so additional torque does harm not good. Invest in a torque wrench or borrow one if you are doing this work. Do not use impacts or tighten things with a 2' breaker bar! The instructions that come with the motorcraft UCAs have have very detailed information on the installation. They advise checking the spread of the pinch clamp and if necessary replacing the knuckle!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Somewhere along the line, that broken bolt was likely over torqued.

Yeah, the bolt itself just tightens up what should be a snug fit anyway ...
... and by setting in the groove, locks the ball joint stud in place.

Proper torque is a must. Better with it on the low side ratther than doubled though. The new lock nut will keep it torqued.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts