TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to replace the engine fan on my 4.6 with about 115,000 miles on the clock. Here in Miami the A/C is not used maybe 7days a year, rest of the time the A/C is on which also keeps the engine fan run on high speed. The fan motor became intermitint, first thing I would notice that the A/C compressor shut down from overpressure on the high side. Then the temp gauge starts climbing fast. I found that while it was running a smart rap on the fan motor would start it again for a few days. Now here is my real problem. After seeing what the dealer wanted for one I grabed my chest and stumbled out. I bought one from the U-Pick Auto yard I found one with only 30k on it. Only two #8 bolts hold the whole assembly in so I yanked it and tested it with an old battery in a fresh wreck. Once I installed it it runs fine but creates a large vibration you can feel in the car, steering wheel, shift lever, any where. I bought a strip of those 1/8 ounce stick on lead weights. I started experimenting attaching the weights with the double sided tape and attached them to the hub around the motor. Once I found a area that would lessen the vibration I would epoxy them to the inside of the hub to keep them from flying off. It had cooled off here last week soI turned off the A/C and was amazed at how smooth it idled, until the engine got hot and turned it on and the vibration came back. Does any one know how to balance these blades? Sorry this got so long.
Happy Holidays,
Richard. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I don't know of nor have I met anyone patient enough to do that. If I were you….I would replace the replacement
if for no other reason than the fact it may have had that imbalance for some time or the imbalance stems from
an even more serious problem that is coming to the surface.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts