TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from the Goodyear shop to have my codes read. They came up with two of them, P0301 & P0308, I know they have to do with misfiring. The tech in the shop told me my heads were not doing too well and there wasn't enough compression which would be the reason I shake and rumble while at a stop light and while accelerating. My question is how much would it be to fix this problem and how difficult would it be to go to the yard and pick up some parts and replace them? I'm fairly handy around my engine and I have a lot of help from mechanic friends I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I noticed you have a 94-95 T-bird, does it puff smoke at idle? If so, more then likely your valve seals are shot. If you go to a yard and get another set of 94-95 heads they will likely have the same problem. Now compression, valve seals will cause a very minute drop in compression. I can't tell what you mean by saying " there was not enough compression", if the compression is terribly low then your rings are probably done, then you would be puffing a lot of smoke from the tail pipes. Taking the heads off is a pain with the modulars, since you have to take the time cover off to get to the timing chains. Although you should be able to get the heads off with the manifolds still attached to the head, you will have to dissconnect the downpipe from the collector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no smoke coming out when I accelerate I know that for sure. I'm going by what the tech said at the shop.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
BoriquaSoy said:
Just came back from the Goodyear shop to have my codes read...
Everytime that I have had any vehicle of mine in a Goodyear shop, they try to make me believe that all kinds of things are wrong with my car. A Goodyear shop is good for tires and wheels. I would take it to a real shop and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
921 Posts
low compression could be caused by bad rings, or.... valves--->valve seats not mating up right. Misfiring, bad motor mounts, and a angry torque convertor can cause shuddering, though the torque convertor doesn't cause it at idle(I don't think?). New plugs/wires

P0301 is a Cylinder #1 misfire
P0308 is a Cylinder #8 misfire

However possible but doubtful, it could be the injectors aren't getting input to open, so you are dry firing, or maybe even on a stretch bad coil packs. What kind of mileage are we looking at on this motor and how well maintained is it? aside from the obvious problems?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
you cant tell if a head is having a problem based on how an engines working, id go with either a tune up isse (plugs and wires, maybe even coilpacks) or an injector issue

you can only tell if a head or block is having issues if you have it looked over, like when its bare, goodyear techs while im sure theres good ones that know what your doing, also try and get customers hyped up, i see it happen alllllll the time a the pep boys i work at, they do the same thing, overll techs are good for minor r&r and diagnosing minor issues, but when it gets down to the big stuff 60% of them cant cut it, but anywho

how old are your plugs? wires?

what kind of miledge is on the engine?

·
8,239 Posts
BoriquaSoy said:
Just came back from the Goodyear shop to have my codes read. They came up with two of them, P0301 & P0308, I know they have to do with misfiring. The tech in the shop told me my heads were not doing too well and there wasn't enough compression which would be the reason I shake and rumble while at a stop light and while accelerating. My question is how much would it be to fix this problem and how difficult would it be to go to the yard and pick up some parts and replace them? I'm fairly handy around my engine and I have a lot of help from mechanic friends I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The goodyear hack sounds like a dip-****.

Call dan newman and order a set of awsf-32c copper plugs, and a set of motorcraft plug wires, and install them and call it a day.

Mine as well also order a fuel filter if you haven't changed yours in 20k miles.

Then stop back at goodyear and tell him his head isn't working too well.

JH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah ditto on the justin thing more then likely its that, saying the heads are be is just crazy...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts