TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am replacing my rear springs with Moog Cargo Coils tonight. My buddy was looking over the procedure that is detailled with the Ford HELMS and noticed that we may have to compress the springs to get them out? There isn't a lot of room to do this with typical compressors, at least from what I can see..

Well, I was looking at the rear spring replacement procedure on the Ford
CD's last night, and it looks like they managed to make it about as
difficult as conceivable for a RWD! Apparently, we still need to
"compress" the springs to get them in and out, and there's even a
possibility you'll need a REAR wheel alignment afterward...We'll have to
see just what we're up against. I packed my spring compressors, but
they're much different than what is shown in the procedure, so I'm not
sure if they'll fit where they need to. We'll have to play that by ear.
If necessary, I could always fabricate something later on at my place or
we could check if the Murray can loan out the right tools.
Any advice? Will typical compressors work?

Thanks!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I don't remeber using any compressor on the rear....they practiallcy fall out once everything is unbolted.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I 2nd that, are the new ones lowering springs?The problems I faced when I did my springs back in 1997 I replaced them with stock springs. I had to work to get them in. But lowering springs should be a breeze

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
IIRC the tech article has you kick the lower control arm, and sure enough, after a few attempts at doing that my springs just fell out!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I 2nd that, are the new ones lowering springs?The problems I faced when I did my springs back in 1997 I replaced them with stock springs. I had to work to get them in. But lowering springs should be a breeze
If anything, the Cargo Coils might be a little bit taller or they may be the same as stock.

Do you find it difficult to get the new ones in?

·
Registered
172 Posts
well, you could always just put your spring compressers on after removing the wheel and pumping the jack a few times. then when you lower the a-arm down the 1 or 2"s to disassemble the stuff thats in the way it should come right out. no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Hopefully things will go well tonight. I am replacing the chassis bracket too, I found some NOS ones. Mine are completely rusted out!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If anything, the Cargo Coils might be a little bit taller or they may be the same as stock.

Do you find it difficult to get the new ones in?
No it wasn't too bad, I had a buddy and a shop guy hepling me get them in and it wnet easy.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i used a ton of coat hanger wire to mildly compress the rears to ge the springs out to make life simpler. Just make sure to use long cutters when releasing the spring tension

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
TT281,
you first wrap the springs under load then when you take load off the spring they are semi compressed? That would make life easier...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
thats what I did and then you let the arm fall out and easily pull the spring out. just like using a standard compressor however its a poor mans way of compressing the springs not to mention aropund here its hard to find the correct band type of compressors needed for the rear springs

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Makes sense, that the way I am going to do it next time, would bailing wire be better?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Roger that be careful!

Funny story, I was swaping rear springs on a mustang I think. We couldn't get them out (cuz rust and all) the shop guy at the hobby shop got a 6 ft pry bar and started to press out ward on the spring. While the otherr shop guy pried down ward. I was just standing back, when that spring came out it flew the lenght of the hobby shop and imprinted on the steel wall. From then on I decided that I wouldn't do it, that way! I have had to "rent" (buy then return) spring compressors in the past for my other vehicals and the ones they have are never the right ones. So TT281's idea sounded doable.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
yes we took extreme care i rapped many links of wire aroudn the springs and carefully removed them then threw them in the grass and cut the wire with long handled cutters. This is how i do the springs but I dont recomend it for saftey reasons.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
yes we took extreme care i rapped many links of wire aroudn the springs and carefully removed them then threw them in the grass and cut the wire with long handled cutters. This is how i do the springs but I dont recomend it for saftey reasons.
I wrap a big blanket around mine when doing it like that.....

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You guys Are Not Invited to my place for suspension work.

Baling wire on a spring qualifies for a Darwin award, if you fail. :eek:

Maybe it's just me, but I ain't going out like that. :)

YMMV, but you've been warned, lol.

I'm not afraid of risk; I used a pair of spring compressors to put on a set of sport springs; that's fairly dangerous, in my book... But no baling wire.

:)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I used 1 macpherson strut compressor and romex wire to get my rear springs out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts