TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Coil spring Conversion on my Lincoln and the front Struts are Garbage(too loose).
I am looking for replacement front struts but I want to upgrade to stiffer front Struts as I don't fill safe at speeds over 70 mph with those Struts.
Btw I have 03 Cobra Bilsteins in the Back and I love them.

So is there any replacement front struts (other than Koni or Supercoupe)) Which are little stiffer than stock Thunderbird Struts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nomenclature aside and beside the obvious konis and extinct bilsteins, some people seem to like tokicos. The shock 'going through the spring' has nothing to do with its classification of either a shock or strut. I'm not about to be anal about the actual name of the part to a guy that has an 11 second mark, haha:)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I am happy with the Tokico blues.

The Sport shocks seemed to be the choice for the front, but I don't think they are available any more.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts
Monroe SensaTrac here. Definitely quite a bit noticeably stiffer than the stock setup, cheap enough, and easy as pie to put in. I've never had anything but those and the worn out originals though.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i use kyb gr2's and i love them they are probably the stiffest ones atleast from what i've been told for birds. i love the stiffness i do mountain road runs and it hugs turns and on the quick straights it stays nice and stable.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i use kyb gr2's and i love them they are probably the stiffest ones atleast from what i've been told for birds. i love the stiffness i do mountain road runs and it hugs turns and on the quick straights it stays nice and stable.
Do you have any problem with front-end "float" over dips in the road on your T-Bird? I bought KYB GR-2's for mine back in April and I tried to install them. I couldn't do it myself due to the lower mounting bolt being seized to the bushing in the LCA. The shop I took it to get my front struts/shocks installed said my front driver's-side coil spring was broken, so I had them install the KYB's and Moog coil springs, but I haven't been happy since because my front-end bobs up and down just a bit more now than it did before I had that front-end work done. I'm hoping it's the Moog coil springs, especially since they're the same part number as for the 3.8 liter V-6 T-Birds (I have a 4.6 liter V-8). FYI - my car had the sport "JJJJ" springs.

I just got some Vogtland 3/4" drop coil springs today that I'm going to install this weekend - hope that helps!

I guess you're happy with those KYB's, huh?

Dennis

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Do you have any problem with front-end "float" over dips in the road on your T-Bird? I bought KYB GR-2's for mine back in April and I tried to install them. I couldn't do it myself due to the lower mounting bolt being seized to the bushing in the LCA. The shop I took it to get my front struts/shocks installed said my front driver's-side coil spring was broken, so I had them install the KYB's and Moog coil springs, but I haven't been happy since because my front-end bobs up and down just a bit more now than it did before I had that front-end work done. I'm hoping it's the Moog coil springs, especially since they're the same part number as for the 3.8 liter V-6 T-Birds (I have a 4.6 liter V-8). FYI - my car had the sport "JJJJ" springs.

I just got some Vogtland 3/4" drop coil springs today that I'm going to install this weekend - hope that helps!

I guess you're happy with those KYB's, huh?

Dennis
yeah why would they put the 3.8 springs on i assume you get wheel hop through high speed turns as well? i would suggest getting eibachs 1.5 lowering progressive springs for handling if you drag get the inert believe vogland makes the intert lowering springs.

i also had the sport suspension and kybs and eibachs really keep the sporty feel with the stiffer ride. my uncle prefers konis cause they are more "plush feeling"

but no i have no ride issues what so ever.

i <3 my kybs:tongue:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
yeah why would they put the 3.8 springs on i assume you get wheel hop through high speed turns as well? i would suggest getting eibachs 1.5 lowering progressive springs for handling if you drag get the inert believe vogland makes the intert lowering springs.

i also had the sport suspension and kybs and eibachs really keep the sporty feel with the stiffer ride. my uncle prefers konis cause they are more "plush feeling"

but no i have no ride issues what so ever.

i <3 my kybs:tongue:
They put the same springs on my car as for a 3.8 liter V-6 because Moog only makes ONE replacement coil spring for the T-Bird, and it's listed as fitting BOTH the 3.8 liter V-6 and the 4.6 liter V-8. It's the same for ALL replacement springs I've seen for T-Birds, with the exception of lowering or high-performance springs.

Dennis

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
They put the same springs on my car as for a 3.8 liter V-6 because Moog only makes ONE replacement coil spring for the T-Bird, and it's listed as fitting BOTH the 3.8 liter V-6 and the 4.6 liter V-8. It's the same for ALL replacement springs I've seen for T-Birds, with the exception of lowering or high-performance springs.

Dennis
yeah, you can get a set of eibachs for a decent price i paid i think 100 bucks shipped for my set from a forum member here. and i have to say never regret it they maybe used but they sure as hell handle better then the sport springs.

i'm sure someone has a set of em for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts