TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any idea as to what it would cost to replace all of the glass on the car? i dont know what the deal is but it seems like no matter how much window cleaner i use they never come clean, it still has a hazy look to it it seems like, its not terrible, but its enough to bug me. im really wondering if anyone has ever done this or knows around how much to expect? the windshield has a crack so i can get it replaced by insurance, but the rest will be out of pocket.

Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
Try using the cheapest paper towel you can find at the store. I use to work for SC Johnson in their call center. People would call in screaming about the streaks that Windex would leave on glass. People don't realize that it is the fabric softner that is added to the expensive paper towels that causes them to streak and leave a haze.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cougar_guy04 said:
What kind of window cleaner are you using? There's some stuff that my Dad gets from work that is amazing. I'll try to find out the name.

just regular ole window cleaner, i pulled it out from under the kitchen sink. i think it is windex

·
Registered
956 Posts
I recommend using alcohol instead of ammonia, but thats just personal preference. Also, use coffee filters and old newspaper instead of paper towels. The (black & white only) ink on the newspaper acts as a glass polish. Maybe its just a placebo, but it works great for me. If you have tinted windows, I use vinegar. Stinks but it works.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i personally use Eagle One 20/20 window cleaner and that stuff is great. Im a smoker and it takes all the tar/nicotine right off with no problem! its kinda pricey though i think that i paid 10-15 bucks for the bottle but ive had it for about a year and a half now washing windows in 2-3 cars once a month.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
musto said:
just regular ole window cleaner, i pulled it out from under the kitchen sink. i think it is windex
That could be part of the problem. I had the same problem when I used some household glass cleaner.

I've got a thing of Stoner Invisible Glass that I got from Commie-Mart that I use when I'm at school. At home, I used Dura-gloss up until recently when my dad brought some stuff home from CarQuest. It's by far some of the best I've used (I can't remember the brand name for the life is me though).

I'd say try some glass cleaner specific to auto glass before going to the extent of dropping a upwards of $2k on new glass.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
When i detail, i soak the windows with windex, then wipe with a damp terry cloth towell. It works great. The key to no streaks is using massive amounts of cleaner to the point where the window is dripping wet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
What kind of window cleaner are you using? There's some stuff that my Dad gets from work that is amazing. I'll try to find out the name.
Would it be Zep by any chance becuase that's what they use at the Body shop my father works at. Me personally I always use Eagle One 20/20 window cleaner and generic el cheapo paper towels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rape a cougar at the junkyard and use all their windows. I was looking into buying a new rear quarter window glass peice (getting it friday) and it was just $75. You can prolly get a whole new set of glass for like $1K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts