TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing timing chain tensioners on my PI engine today, I figured I might post up what I plan to do, and see if I have it right... :)

I'll put the engine is the 'safe' position, as if I were going to remove the heads.

The chains aren't coming off, so I shouldn't have to worry about rotation.

I'm removing the existing tensioners and guides, and replacing them with the non-cheesy (steel vs plastic) ones I bought from Nick.

I'll coat everything with oil and assembly lube, and swap one piece at a time.

There don't seem to be gaskets for the tensioners; I can't find any, and the book doesn't show them either. :confused: I don't remember any on the old motor either.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Before removing tensioners I zip tie the chain so no slack will go into the chain when unbolting tensioners when done cut zip tie

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you don't want the tension on the cam to cause the timing to move.
The zip tie thing works well; I've used that trick for ~30 years, lol. (dohc bikes)

This is done; there is more to the story, tho.

See this gallery:
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=347

Someone here posted about finding their timing chain eaten up on the outside rows. Anyone remember this? I can't find it again... Seems like it was an explorer engine.

I see this same thing on the driver's side chain, and the rear side of the rear crank sprocket is slightly sharp.

My old chain at 233k miles doesn't have any marks.

I have pics I'll post up to my member's area. :)

I also posted more of the pics of my broken engine, lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I notice the iron tensioners have an oil sprayer/venturi at one end; how does the plastic tensioner lube the chain?

How does the chain get lubed at all, without the spray?

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want to start a new thread, but there are some more pics of my PI engine up in this gallery:

http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=367

I've got plastic ordered for the wiring harness; I'm going to replace all the old plastic cover, and retape it with silicone tape.

I'm also going to do something about the ugly alternator; it either gets chromed or painted, lol.

Throttle body too... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts