TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the heads on my car turned out to be warped >20 thousands, so I am assuming the engine was damaged pretty heavily too. I have decided to go with a junk yard engine and give that a try.

I have found one with 91k and guaranteed for thirty days (plenty of time to thrash it a little and check it out). It will be getting it tomorrow and starting the install in the afternoon. Hopefully it will be finished up by Sunday. I will try and get some pics, but will have to use a camera-phone.

Since the engine will be out on a stand I am wondering if there is anything that I should change that I couldn't change once the engine is in. Looking for things that are impossible to change once the engine is in.

Here is what I am thinking:

Oil pan gasket
rear main seal <--- is this part of oil pan gasket?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
bearings are a must!

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i would replace all the bearings. cam, mains, and rods. you can do the rods and mains yourself, but that requires tearing it down to a bare block. replace all the piston rings. let a shop do the cam bearings. while its there, have them hot tank the block and replace the freeze plugs. autozone can give you prices on bearings. good luck getting that all done by sunday :)

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
at a minimum, I would do a complete ring and bearing job. You would need pistons rings, main bearings, rod bearings, new oil pump (good idea for anytime you are doing a major job), head gaskets and have the heads checked by a machine shop

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow...seems like everyone is telling me to rebuild this engine. lol.. I was thinking of cheap items... Its my GF car and she doesn't have any extra money. Maybe could spend like 50 bucks or so.

I plan on doing head gaskets as soon as I get the engine in and make sure it runs without knocks and other major problems. Anything on top of that is cutting above the budgeted 500 for the project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts