TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a old Cougar hub laying around to press the bearing out of for measurement. I need to replace the bearing on my thunderbird, which has mustang hubs. I was hoping I could measure the cougar one to be able to find a replacement bearing that will fit the mustang hub. There is a place called Purvis Bearing in Waco that people say may have my bearings. Has anyone ever done this on the thunderbird/mustang? What are the bearing specifications/part number?

The only reason I ask is that I am having serious difficulty pressing out the wheel bearing from the hub. I cant find any retaining rings or anything like that. Is there some trick to pressing these out? My crappy harbor freight press hasnt let me down yet, until now. Let me know what you think. Last time I just bought hubs, but I think it would be cool to just install bearings.
-Rob

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
I have a old Cougar hub laying around to press the bearing out of for measurement. I need to replace the bearing on my thunderbird, which has mustang hubs. I was hoping I could measure the cougar one to be able to find a replacement bearing that will fit the mustang hub. There is a place called Purvis Bearing in Waco that people say may have my bearings. Has anyone ever done this on the thunderbird/mustang? What are the bearing specifications/part number?

The only reason I ask is that I am having serious difficulty pressing out the wheel bearing from the hub. I cant find any retaining rings or anything like that. Is there some trick to pressing these out? My crappy harbor freight press hasnt let me down yet, until now. Let me know what you think. Last time I just bought hubs, but I think it would be cool to just install bearings.
-Rob
Just go buy a new hub.
They're not expensive,and you'll waste more time trying to replace the bearing than it's worth.
JL

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol yeah i know how easy it is to install a new hub, I have done many but I just thought I would ask. I suppose after $20 (guess for replacement bearing) and driving into Waco to get it +time to press it all together, I am right around $50 or more, which is what they cost. Whenever I get some free time I am going to check into this replacement bearing thing though.
-Rob

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
warp

& if you WARP Hub pressing out Race it's game over anyway... Most newer Fords are one piece Race & Hub BTW.

·
Super Moderator
10,918 Posts
I did this awhile back; it toasts the hub.

The hub is too thin to take being pressed apart; I think they machine it after it's pressed in. (!)

It looks like the same bearing as the rear, and I have a piece I made to press those bearings into that fully supports the area around the bearing; if it was any tighter, it would be a punch... I made that after ruining a rear knuckle, lol.

The race still had aluminum on it after it all came apart; It extruded more than it separated. :)

Nothing breaks stuff like a press... :D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Thanks for chiming in...I knew that there must be some kind of reason for this/I wasn't the only one who had hell pressing apart the front hubs. There definitely is not much material between the OD of the bearing and the OD of the hub! Looks like I'm gonna throw this in the scrap and buy another mustang hub. I am not interested in breaking my crappy press. I was just kinda surprised because on all other times, I can press hub bearings in and out all day long with little difficulty. This baby was made to stay together without a retaining clip...This threw me for a loop! Thanks for all the quick replies.
-Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts