TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is a dumb question, but is there any tips or tricks to replacing the o2 sensor in our cars?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have'nt found any yet..

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
The driver's side is pretty self explanatory, but the passenger side requires a LOT of patience. Most of the advice given here recommends an O2 sensor socket or even dropping the exhaust at the manifold, however I was able to get it out in half an hour or so with two different open end wrenches (the angle on them was slightly different).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was afraid i was gonna have to drop the exhaust. im replacing the one on the drivers side. couldnt for the life of me get my hand between the exhaust and body to unplug it. or get a wrench to get the sensor out......droping the exhaust could turn out bad....its all rusted and the bolts are all coroded and stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
What I did was take a wrench, grinded out a "slit" into the box end of the wrench, had the passenger side out in 5 min. I can take a pix of that wrench if you need?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need pics of the sensor.....on my car its on the drivers side....everyone else is sayin its passanger side....im confused

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
There are four O2 sensors. Driver and passenger side side upstream (before cats), and driver and passenger side downstream (after cats).

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
There are four O2 sensors. Driver and passenger side side upstream (before cats), and driver and passenger side downstream (after cats).
For posterity - Before anyone goes crazy looking for the downstream O2 sensors on a Gen1 - at least through 1991, they don't have any downstream, just the upstream sensors.

Later MN12s did, though.

(I want to say it's the 5.0/4.6L swap when they changed - but that's an opinion, not based on knowledge. Anyone knowing the actual changeover, please let us know for sure.)

RwP

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I've never had a problem using an oxygen sensor socket.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Out of curiosity, I'd like to see that
Me too! You would think it would just "spread out" when you put a little pressure on it. Must be a good quality wrench!!!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Outstanding!!! Worked for you, right? :D
It worked as if that tool should have been "designed" for that purpose, LOL! Let's just say it worked extremly well especially under the conditions. I was living in an apt complex, so all I had was my one small space to work with and a tiny hydraulic jack.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
It worked as if that tool should have been "designed" for that purpose, LOL! Let's just say it worked extremly well especially under the conditions. I was living in an apt complex, so all I had was my one small space to work with and a tiny hydraulic jack.
Dude! Be careful!!! I certainly hope and pray you don't depend on that little bottle jack and crawl under your car without any sort of jack stands.

Please be safe, I had a friend from high school that had his Camaro sitting on blocks of firewood. He bought a tranny off me and was attempting to put it in alone. The car came down on top of him and he died of suffocation before his girlfriend found him in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Dude! Be careful!!! I certainly hope and pray you don't depend on that little bottle jack and crawl under your car without any sort of jack stands.

Please be safe, I had a friend from high school that had his Camaro sitting on blocks of firewood. He bought a tranny off me and was attempting to put it in alone. The car came down on top of him and he died of suffocation before his girlfriend found him in the garage.
That was all in the past. I have a 2 car driveway house now w/metal ramps. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
When i did mine it was seized up tight in the manifold. Ended up taking an old impact socket and welding a tab too it. I'd cut the wires of at the sensor so i didn't have to worry about them. Slipped the socket on, took a long pry bar down from the top (under the hood) onto the tab, a couple good hits, and i was able to break it lose. Piece of cake from there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts