TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the relays can be replaced easily in the CCRM? I can buy the relays, but the CCRM was riveted (which I drilled) and the relays inside are maybe soldered to the board?

Looking for suggestions...

Thanks.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Ask yourself if you really want to replace a relay and wonder if the repair you made is going to die at a very inconvenient time. Just buy a new CCRM as there are too many things that ride on it if you get it wrong. My 2 lincolns

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I even looking at the right thing?

I have some concerns that I am looking at the wrong part, or that one part has two names. I have taken out a box between the air filter box and the headlight, 24 pins with a bolt holding the connector in place. It's my understanding that this is the CCRM. Inside there are 3 black relay looking boxes, a smaller black box, and a white box. (hope that's descriptive enough) All on a circuit board.

Here's the number (F48F-12B577-AA) on the box however. When I looked up that part number, it brings up PCM as a description.

Which am I looking at, and if it's not the CCRM, then what is it?

·
The Parts Guy
7,273 Posts
That is the CCRM, which is also sometimes referred to as the IRCM. AFAIK, those relays aren't replaceable.

-Rod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, not that this is the end of the story

Thanks for the quick feedback. The ford mechanic that my dad has spoken to says that I should be able to replace the relays, and that I should not have to drill rivets to get into the "right" box. Also, it should be located on the driver-side firewall or passenger-side front of fender. In his words, don't work on the box that I have to drill rivets out of...

So any ideas where the fuel pump relay that does not require any drilling of rivets, and can be just plugged in, might be?

Again, in case I forgot to post the whole story. My 94 tbird stalled on the highway yesterday. It would spin (crank), but not start. About an hour later, when I returned to tow it home, (only made it a mile away) it started up and I drove it home.

The early diagnosis was the fuel pump relay, which has led me to CCRM, and this confusion.

·
Registered
744 Posts
gyroscopic said:
The early diagnosis was the fuel pump relay, which has led me to CCRM, and this confusion.
how do know that it's the relay? try this: let the car sit awhile, put key in ignition, and turn to on but do not start, while turning the key listen for a 'click' that's the fuel pump relay....no click then you have problem with the relay or the source that should be activating it

not sure if you knew that or not, but give it a try if you didn't good luck with your problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No luck at SCCOA

I checked under a number of searches (fuel relay, CCRM, IRCM) and had no luck finding anything about replacing a relay in the CCRM. If you know where to find it, I would appreciate it, but I don't expect you to go way out of your way either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Solid state baby!

Is that a "New and improved" one from Ford?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
racecougar said:
AFAIK, those relays aren't replaceable.
Correct.

Although if you are electronically inclined, they can be replaced but they are soldered on the circuit board. (If you can find replacements)

Similar to these:

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
If you can solder, you can replace those relays. If you do happen to mess it up, then you aren't really losing anything, since it was already broken in the first place.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Hotbird, soldering on a board is a bit different then on wires plus a "generic relay" will not have the proper plugs needed for the job as Al was kind enough to show.
I'm not saying it can't be done but IMO I doubt it's worth the trouble.

-Scott

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
*pic*
Solid state baby!
Cougar281 said:
Is that a "New and improved" one from Ford?
cougar281, fyi: "solid-state" in electronics means there's no moving parts such as a common relay, typically relays go bad because they lose some of their magnetism, or they get shaken to death & no longer work. with solid-state the only way for them to go bad other then extreme conditions (ie water, fire, ect), is to run too much voltage or current through them. so going from a relay based device to solid state is an inprovement.

and like everybody else said, you can replace those relays, if you're able to find them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's my plan, for better or worse

I appreciate all of the feedback about this. I had no idea that there was such an active thunderbird population. Here's my plan.

I have located a used CCRM and I am going to order that in and keep my current one in the trunk just in case. It still works, though, I have no idea how well or how long.

I don't have the skills or the tool to solder, so I am going to return the relay that I got locally. I would've had to trim the plugs anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
CCRM aka IRCM Location

Just thought I'd take a pic of where the CCRM, sometimes refered to as IRCM, is located for future search reference.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Hotbird, soldering on a board is a bit different then on wires plus a "generic relay" will not have the proper plugs needed for the job as Al was kind enough to show.
Yeah, I've soldered on boards, wires, even heat sinks and it's not fun if you don't have a good iron/gun. I miss my butane-gas soldering iron...

Yeah, um looks like I overlooked the pin configuration up there. There is definately a difference between those, and it's not something that R4d10 5hAcK is gonna have either.

Ah well, he got a new one anyway!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wanted to comment because I just bought a Radiator Fan Control Relay from my work (Advanced) to see if I could quick fix my fan messing with my idle when on (Defroster, A/C, cooling engine). I know this probably isn't the fix, but it was cheap ($15) and I figured it'd be easy. I have to solder! This looks like a direct plug in relay to me :confused:

Let me know about any suggestions about what may or may not be my problem. Seems like this relay isn't the way to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts