TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a spark plug change yesterday the birdie, and I was wondering, when do you know when your plug wires are done for? How do you know it's time to change em out? I looked at mine, and I believe they are the original ones they came with, they have the Ford logo on the boot ;) My 3.8 birdie is sittin right round 122K miles on her.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
they are supposed to be changed every 60,000 - 100,000 miles, or so ford recommends, obviously change them if they arc, or if any of the insulation is showing.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Measure the resistance across them with a Multimeter, if it is high then they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Measure the resistance across them with a Multimeter, if it is high then they need to be replaced.
Mayhaps a slightly dumb question,:confused:

but how do I measure ohms with my meter? And what's a high reading and what's a low reading, and more importantly what's the cut off point for no good wires.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
Old plug wires will also get stiff and lose their flexibility.

There are some good alternative choices to the stock wires listed in the TECH ARTICLES.

I run the 8.5mm Magnacor wires and am very pleased with them.

I'd say on a 3.8 engine it wouldn't make much difference, if any, which wires you went with. I'd say based on the tech articles any resistance much more than 9,000 ohms is unacceptable and the wires should be replaced.

The lower the resistance the better.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Just get a set of FRPP wires for a 3.8 Mustang and you'll be good to go for a long time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can also wait till its dark. Start your car with hood up. With a MIST bottle mist the wire area... If you see a lightshow, time for a change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts