TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my spark plugs-this is my first time- so before i start I would like to know how to take out the wires. Is a tool needed, or is there a technique to apply?
Also, how do you gap the plugs?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

·
8,239 Posts
pull the wires straight out with your hand. Pull them by the rubber boot, not the wire itself or you will damage the wire. Don't use a tool like pliars to pull the boot, you will damage the boot, it takes some muscle but they come off with not too much effort.

Its a pretty simple deal on any 4.6.

You will want to pull off the plastic "violin case" (where it says 4.6), and set that aside before you begin work. This way you can get to all the spark plugs with a long extension bar and a spark plug tool. The violin case mounts on with a couple metric bolts, and you can pull off the clamps with a screwdriver.

A good tip is to do one wire at a time so that you don't mix up the firing order.

You can buy a plug gapping tool at any auto store for about 99 cents. Stock gap is 0.054, some guys are running 0.060 with no trouble (myself included)

I would say don't put any plug in the car except an autolite/motorcraft copper plug.

Also make sure that you use some anti seize on the new plug threads, and don't over tighten the plugs. Just get them hand tight with the extension, then snug them up. It says on the plug how far you should go, i think it's a 1/4 turn after finger tight.

JH

·
Registered
811 Posts
JustinH is exactly correct. It is not hard at all. I also agree with chilipepprflea and to blow them sh!ts out, I couldn't belive the crap that was sitting ontop of the wire boots.:beek:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Replacing Spark Plugs

When installing new spark plugs on the 4.6 liter V-8, is it advisable or even O.K. to put a little anti-sieze compound on the plug threads to prevent them from becoming stuck if I ever have to remove them again?

I'm changing my intake manifold today as well as installing new Autolite double platinum plugs and new Motorcraft plug wires/coil packs (to hopefully cure a bad misfire problem - I can see arcing all over one of my old coil packs) and want to know if I should use the anti-sieze on the new plugs.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Yes, it is fine to use some anti-seize on the threads.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When installing new spark plugs on the 4.6 liter V-8, is it advisable or even O.K. to put a little anti-sieze compound on the plug threads to prevent them from becoming stuck if I ever have to remove them again?

I'm changing my intake manifold today as well as installing new Autolite double platinum plugs and new Motorcraft plug wires/coil packs (to hopefully cure a bad misfire problem - I can see arcing all over one of my old coil packs) and want to know if I should use the anti-sieze on the new plugs.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yes, but don't overdo it. Use the lower range of torque when you tighten them. Lubricant acts to multiply torque.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yes i have to keep merging threads all the time because people still cant realize that *anything and everything* they could possibly think of, has already been discussed before, as evidenced by this thread

i was a chevy guy at one time.
well at least you've come around to the blue oval....hallelujah!:tongue:

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes i have to keep merging threads all the time because people still cant realize that *anything and everything* they could possibly think of, has already been discussed before, as evidenced by this thread
Maybe we should just shut down posting? Why bother having an interactive forum at all? Just make it an archive.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
because they can still contribute to older threads and it makes everything else much more comprehensive to keep everything more concise....certain things of course can have their own threads, but simple things like asking about plugs, coil packs, wires, heads, cams, intakes, mafs, etc, etc, have been beaten to death

and there is no "we" here, but thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't have a problem with threads being merged if they are of the same subject matter, but did it ever occur to you that maybe that sometimes happens because someone is pressed for time and needs a quick answer to something? Like, maybe, someone is about to drive 20 miles to their father's house (because they live in an apartment and can't work on their car at home!) to change their intake manifold and install new coil packs, plug wires and plugs and need to know if something they think they should do when doing all this work is right or not? And, they don't have time to search through, say, 83 pages of posts before they leave?

Just wondered if that occured to you!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
sure did.....and tccoa isnt a 24/7 tech line with people waiting to answer your questions on the drop of a dime...if you're leaving to where ever, who's to say that you're gonna get an answer in the next minute? we're here to help each other out, but if you're solely counting on tccoa as the one and only automotive resource on the planet (auto parts stores come to mind), then you're going about things the wrong way

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sure did.....and tccoa isnt a 24/7 tech line with people waiting to answer your questions on the drop of a dime...if you're leaving to where ever, who's to say that you're gonna get an answer in the next minute? we're here to help each other out, but if you're solely counting on tccoa as the one and only automotive resource on the planet (auto parts stores come to mind), then you're going about things the wrong way
No, I don't count on TCCOA as my only source of automotive info, but I find almost always that it's THE most informative source (naturally) of info regarding our Thunderbirds and Cougars. Even Ford dealers rarely provide me with information as good as I find here - so for that, I thank YOU and everyone else who answers questions I may have!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Just wondered if that occured to you!

Dennis
The real problem is that spoon-feeding Noobs makes a new thread with minimal information; and it makes the list of threads bigger by one, without adding new info.

Add to that the problem of searching, which limits the total number of threads you can search for, and it gets harder and harder to find what you are looking for over time.

Use Search.

Don't trust a 2 minute answer to a thread; you may end up washing out your Cobra motor with a water hose, or something else equally retarded. There are some very special people out there...

I posed how to search in a thread this week, and added terms to where it showed up in any search I could think of.

If nothing else, search for RFC1855. Then read it. :)

Welcome to the Eternal September of the Net.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Spark Plug Replacing...

Not to get back on topic or anything, but I just used a wet/dry vac to clean out the holes so no crap would fall in the cylinder when I pulled the plugs out. It worked great!

I didn't have access to compressed air at the time (my house in the driveway), so wet/dry vac to the rescue! :cool:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts