TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im going to replace my struts the question i have is do i HAVE to replace the strut mounts when i do this?

and they are just for the top correct?

also can anyone give me torque specs on all the strut bolts...

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,627 Posts
Shocks. These arent mustangs ;)

The upper mounts are a "while your there" job, they arent expensive and could probably use replacing. The lower bolts are 148-162 ft-lbs, the upper mount bolts are 37-45 ft-lbs and the middle nut is 37-45 ft-lbs.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Shocks. These arent mustangs ;)

The upper mounts are a "while your there" job, they arent expensive and could probably use replacing. The lower bolts are 148-162 ft-lbs, the upper mount bolts are 37-45 ft-lbs and the middle nut is 37-45 ft-lbs.
ok not to sit there and be here just to argue but why does summit call them struts and kyb who makes them call them struts?

and don't our cars have a mcpherson strut type suspension? i googled struts and i didnt see a difference can you explain the differences?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,627 Posts
We have Short arm Long Arm suspensions with "coilover" shocks mounted to the lower control arms. Mcpherson struts mount to the top knuckle and use lower control arms only.

Summit like most retailers probably don't know **** about mn12's and kyb sucks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ok not to sit there and be here just to argue but why does summit call them struts and kyb who makes them call them struts?

and don't our cars have a mcpherson strut type suspension? i googled struts and i didnt see a difference can you explain the differences?
A "real" strut has an upper mount that moves when you turn the wheel. There is a distinction.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ohhhhhh ok thanks xr7. so if im looking to replace them i look for coilover shocks? and then to replace the upper mounts what am i looking for? what they call strut mounts?

thanks for the torque specs too

found these.. these are the right ones correct?........

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/19305/name/801845-Monroe-Monromatic-Thunderbird-and-Cougar
mororematic is total garbage, they don't even have a warranty! Plan on replacing them in a year or two.

Go with OEM motorcraft (post a request in the parts counter thread) or monroe sensatracs(lifetime warranty, just hold your receipt). There is also KYB and Tokico. Check rockauto. You can also find a 5% discount code for rockauto.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha ok, thanks for the heads up, any idea what the oem coat is from the parts counter?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rockauto has motorcraft parts under shock absorbers but idk if it's the coilovers.. would I have to by the springs with it?

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
just to confuse you, mustangs use- well the old foxes used Modified McPherson struts. basically a non coil over setup or a wishbone in fwd. i just felt like chuckin some trivia out there. modded micks have superior handling while ours has that plus superior ride quality but iirc, its a bit heavy in comparison. wow

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
I can vouch for the SensaTracs - they make a "quick strut" (again, not really a strut) that is SO easy to install (once you get the old one out, hehe). Basically unbolt the top 3 mounting bolts and lower mounting bolt to the LCA and it's out. Installation is "bolt them in" - not a thing needing to be done to the assembly. Make sure you get new bolts/nuts though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where did you get those sense trace?

and again can I use the ones from rockauto that are under the shock absorbers? the motorcraft ones..

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
The SensaTrac Quick Strut comes as an assembly, I bought them from RockAuto - IIRC they were $130 each. I replaced mine because a) they were original units with 105,000+ miles on them, b) the springs on both front units were broken, c) the right rear shock was leaking and needed replacement, and d) and I was replacing both rear shocks because they too were originals. I ended up ordering a full set: two sensatrac shocks for the rear and two quick struts for the front. The car feels much tighter with the new shocks all around, I definitely recommend them. You can't beat the price. Again, be sure to order new lower shock mounting bolts. My old ones were rusted in so I had to use a hack saw to cut the bolt into pieces to get it out.

For the front you need a unit from the "strut assembly" category on RockAuto. The rears will be under "shock absorber". Unless you have the ability to re-mount the old springs on a new shock for the front or have a particular need to go with another shock, just go with the quick strut. So easy, plus your springs will be new - less chance of breakage later. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so could i just get shock absorbers for the front and use the old springs?

the springs appear to be in ok condition..

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
You could, but personally I think it's a lot of extra work and there's always that uncertainty factor.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
extra work being...? and uncertainty? of the springs being ok?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i think he means extra work is buying shocks and springs seperate i replaced mine with a quick strut..er hem... shock "what ever" that is the shock and spring ready to go in your car

kevin

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
Extra work putting the spring and front shock together. And yes, uncertainty about the remainder of service life left in the springs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmmm alright then that sounds like my best bet, thanks for the help and showering me the part..

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
did you replace the strut mounts when you put in the quick struts?

nvm, i can see in the picture it comes with it. your right that is a pretty good deal and looks real simpple to install

1 - 20 of 34 Posts