TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The O/D button on my car doesn't seem to work. I read it simply pulls out. Today I was at the u-pull-it and spotted one in a Mk VIII. I tried several gentile ways to pull it out, but it came right out with a light pull from pliers. It has continuity with the button pushed, so it seems OK.

Did I remove this correctly? Do I just pull my old one out and carefully shove the the replacement switch into the shifter?

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
The fact that your O/D button doesn't working might not be the button at all.

The wires in the shifter might be broken, a previous owner may have pulled the shifter off and damaged the wires inside.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
Joe's right, usually when these fail to respond it's because there's an open in the wires under the shifter. I'd pop the console top and have a look...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. As a first step, I'd like to check the button. Did I remove the button correctly and can I just insert the replacement? Or did I pull something apart that will be difficult to re-insert?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
If I recall there is a plastic rod that has contacts on it. As long as the switch is positioned properly it should just press against the contacts on the rod. I haven't taken the switch out before, but have had the shifter off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the old switch out and popped in the replacement. O/D light still doesn't come on. I checked the original switch for continuity and it seemed to work. So now I'm reading threads here about getting to the wires. The switch on my 97 seems to be a bit better quality than the one from the 94 Mark. The contacts on the Tbird have little points and the one from the 94 has just bends in the copper strips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts