TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure the 96-97 alternator is the same as the 94. If not, let me know.

Tools needed:
flat screwdriver
T20 Torx bit
15mm socket and 10mm socket to remove Alternator (need to verify)

Regulator available at any decent alternator shop. Roughly $20 bucks.

Remove Alternator from your car.

Regulator that has seen better days.

First, remove these two screws

These two screws connect to the brush holder. The brushes are spring-loaded but there's no danger of it springing out. Just so you know it's there. When you reassemble these, the screw holes will not line up perfectly.

Remove these 4 torx screws with a T20 torx bit.

Old regulator vs new one. The old one just fell apart.

New regulator installed

Cleaned up and ready to go back on the car

This article demonstrates what I have done to modify my alternator in my car. Neither I nor TCCoA assume any responsibility if you use this article to try to modify your own car. You do so at your own risk.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
how did you keep the brush assembly in place when you removed the regulator? once you remove the regulator, if you push the brushes into the spring holes, you can put a paperclip through the hole and through the regulator hole too, then when you reassemble, pull out the paper clip and the brushes will go back in place.
-Thomas

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They moved a bit but I was able to line them back up with the screws when I reassembled it. The fact that they didn't move a whole lot would suggest they are worn some. It's been 11 - 12 years after all.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah. FYI - you can buy the entire brush assembly for 4 dollars. New brushes already set in the housing with a clip in them. Might as well do that while you're at it, for 4 bucks.
-Thomas

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
good idea on the brushes Thomas

fyi to others interested; sometimes you need to be carefull if you have many miles on the altenator (say 130,000+), the contacts on the spindle will wear down, and may not work well with new brushes.

good write up/pics AL

·
Registered
414 Posts
That was a very good article. It was very descriptive and the it was made simple to understand. Also the other people that had put in their info to supplement it did a very good job as well. We need more articles like that. I just wanted to complement the article as well as the responses. :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts