TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I decided I'm going to go ahead and replace my transmission and torque converter with custom made ones from scp.com and I'm realizing that now would also be a great time to replace my stock Flywheel too with a performance one. I have a 97 Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6 Modular V8 and the 4R70W transmission. Any suggestions on which Flywheel I should get? I also don't know the proper bolt pattern and teeth amount either lol

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
No, you still likely need a Mark VIII flexplate.

Al

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I recognize that color; how long has that been on the shelf?

There are places that sell better TCs.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Having the word "budget" in the description, I would steer clear of a re-worked stocker. That is not a place to save money. A high quality smaller diameter TC is the way to go. Then you will need the MKVII flexplate.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Yeah, if you're going to have the trans out... do it right the first time. Get in touch with Chris at Circle D. You'll spend $$$ for it but you'll never need to replace it and they'll stand behind the product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there anything more budget friendly? I rrrrreeeeeaaaalllly don’t have that kind of money, especially right now because of the pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
If you want budget friendly, you can keep your eyes out for a good Mustang GT, Marauder, or Mark VIII (96 or newer is best due to better clutch material) stocker. They'll stall several hundred RPM above the stock MN12 converter and you won't need to worry as much about it failing on short notice, assuming stock-ish power levels. Just be sure it comes from a car with a known good trans. :)

What combo is this supporting presently? What are the longer-term plans? At least with this route, it gives you a taste of what more stall feels like with your combo and will let you gauge how much more you want for your ultimate goals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now it just has a cold air intake, underdrive pulley kit, 76mm mass air flow sensor, bigger injectors, MSD ignition coils, some aftermarket spark plug wires, and a traction lok differential. Future plans I want to get a full custom 2.5 true dual exhaust system, swap the heads with the PI head swap kit, 3.73 gears for the differential, and MAYBE a supercharger that won’t make the stock engine explode lol

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Well, in that case a stock 11.25" converter will do just fine until you get to the point where you're ready to go beyond just PI heads/cams etc. Then you'll probably want/need 3500-3800 stall, maybe even a triple-disc converter depending on dyno results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like a stock Mark VIII or Mustang GT converter or the one my car originally came with? Honestly I really don’t want to do any more drivetrain mods atm cuz I don’t even have the money for this either. Later on down the line though I may try to just swap it out entirely with the newest GT ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like I’m going to be goin with a better torque converter now anyway. I’m looking at the ones from Circle D, am I looking for a 4R70 converter and then get a MKVII flexplate? Also what year car is that flexplate from? lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah ok cool, good to know. Means I get to save money now :D
(A manual transmission has a flywheel that is attached to the crankshaft and has a clutch disk in between the pressure plate and flywheel. ... A flexplate is mounted to the crankshaft and connects the output from the engine to the input of a torque converter) So you can know the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts