TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently poking around under my LS, and noticed that there are no U-joints connecting the driveshaft to the rear end gear pod.

Check out this pic:

The driveshaft bolts directly to a chunk of rubber about 3/4" thick, which then bolts to the rear end gear pod. Didn't look at how the driveshaft bolts up with the tranny, probably is the same thing.

Is this a dumb/bad idea, or is it a better one to get around using U-joints on IRS applications where the rear end is fixed to the body?

It's too late for me to adapt this style connection on my Cougar after making a custom driveshaft, but it got me thinking about it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think I once read that a U-joint needs at least 2 - 3 degrees of "miss-alignment" to function properly. It has to do with the “rolling” of the needle bearings in the U-joint. So on an IRS setup where everything is aligned, a coupling might be more appropriate.

I don’t think it would really matter that much unless the rest of the drive train moves around a whole lot. But I would also bet that it’s there to reduce vibration and harshness and not for a “better” design. It is an LS after all… supposed to be smooooooooooth… :thumbsup:

And with all the new technologies in compounds today, that “rubber” piece may be stronger than a u-joint setup.

But it is interesting. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points there, it just surprised me to see a rubber disk connecting it like that.

Can't imagine it'd last for 20 years, but then again - what U-joint would, and would replacing that rubber disk be all that expensive?

We'll probably see alot more crazy stuff in the coming years on cars. Like plastic wheels :eek:.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts