TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, I've been reading the forums for a little while now ever since I got my T bird back in March, This is my first actual post as of yet.

I live in a very snowy place and having 2WD as opposed to 1WD would really help me along.

I'm just wondering how easy it is to install a LSD and what part does the job.
I've heard of these cars coming with one from the factory but it apparently wears out over time ( mine is a 96 V6 with 312,000 kms)

I checked Rockauto and could not find what I was looking for. I just need to know some general info and hopefully a solution.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks for the quick reply, but I have one more possibly stupid question.

I'll be able to check if the car same with an open diff or not tomorrow but if so can the rebuild kit still be used instead of buying new?

I'm only asking because the kit seems to come with everything.

thanks again though.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Alright thanks for the quick reply, but I have one more possibly stupid question.

I'll be able to check if the car same with an open diff or not tomorrow but if so can the rebuild kit still be used instead of buying new?

I'm only asking because the kit seems to come with everything.

thanks again though.
Yes. If you already have Trac-Lok then the rebuild kit is all you will need. If the bearings and seals are good you can get away with just replacing the clutches and the s-spring. This can be done at home with common tools.
If you have to have it completely rebuilt or you have to add Trac-Lok it will make sense to pay someone else to do it. You need special tools and it is not a simple job.
The easiest might be to buy a whole pumpkin from someone and swap it yourself but being in Newfoundland might make shipping kind of expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts