TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some of you might or might not know, I am putting in a 4.3 into my car. I was/am planning on a late model mustang transmission (01-04) but I am unable to find out for sure if it is possible. Is it possible?

Also, I need some help in determining what torque converter I should use. I plan on keeping this as my daily driver, with OCCASIONAL drag racing. At most I will be at 220rwhp NA.

Without being very knowledgable about stall speeds and sh..crap like that, I am gonna have to rely on your input.

So, in short, I need:

To know if a 01-04 mustang V6 transmission will work in my tbird (1996) and if so, what modifications will need to be done to make it work.

To know what kind of TC should I start looking for?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
What converter to use mostly depends on your budget and/or usage. If you are truely making some ungodly amount of torque buy the triple plate unit. If you have a stock 4.2 you are putting in you can get away with a explorer converter. You can install a marauder converter with the correct flexplate, that would be the most bang for the buck. There are several other options beyond that without spending $1200 as well, it rreally all depends on what you want.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dirtyd0g said:
What converter to use mostly depends on your budget and/or usage. If you are truely making some ungodly amount of torque buy the triple plate unit. If you have a stock 4.2 you are putting in you can get away with a explorer converter. You can install a marauder converter with the correct flexplate, that would be the most bang for the buck. There are several other options beyond that without spending $1200 as well, it rreally all depends on what you want.
Alan
Well, my plans are for a good daily driver, no ungodly amounts of power (meaning i will probably stay N/A). I will be making some trips to the local drag strip. Being my daily driver, I need something that will not affect my drivability in snow and ice.

My engine will be a slightly modified 4.2, I might gasket match the intakes and heads (that is still up in the air). I will be putting in either 3.73's or 3.55's. Should a mark viii converter be sufficent for my needs?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If it has round lugs,NO. If it has the rectangular lugs it should do fine, as long as you keep it cool and don't beat it constantly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts