TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions or guidance will be appreciated.

Recently running my 4.6L engine at WOT illuminated the "Check Engine" warning light. Through the shop manuals, it states that running the car through a specific drive routine would reset the bit if no other code is "thrown."

Well, it is difficult to find a location that will allow you to run at 40 MPH continuous for about 5 minutes, so I was wondering what could be done to reset the bit for the warning light.

Possible solutions are purchasing an OBD II tool (approx. $200), but was wondering if there was any solution as with OBD I.

Thank you in advance for your time and replies.

·
Registered
180 Posts
simply disconnecting the battery should "reset" the computer. wont fix the reason the check light came on, but will get rid of it till prob. pops up again.

Frank

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Another way of resetting the light is one that I learned about on this site:

Open the hood, pull fuse 15 (it's a blue 20 amp fuse) from the High Current Fuse Panel/High Power Distribution Box (next to the battery - the lid of this box has a diagram inside it), start the car (it won't start), then replace the fuse. On the next start of the car, the Check Engine light will not stay on, as the code that caused it was cleared from memory.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
IronChopz said:
Another way of resetting the light is one that I learned about on this site:

Open the hood, pull fuse 15 (it's a blue 20 amp fuse) from the High Current Fuse Panel/High Power Distribution Box (next to the battery - the lid of this box has a diagram inside it), start the car (it won't start), then replace the fuse. On the next start of the car, the Check Engine light will not stay on, as the code that caused it was cleared from memory.
Just a tip. If you have a radio with presets and the time and all that then this way wont loose that info. If you unconnect battery you will have to reset all that. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of your input. I will try the procedure of removing the fuse later today and will let you know the outcome. If the light comes on again, what reader would you recommend purchasing?

I have a catalog from Summit Racing and was wondering if the readers in there are appropriate or are there better ones (but not too expensive) on the market?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Well I have the Actron OBDII Reader. For just getting the codes and doing nothing else its ok but its $150 from stores. Its $50-100 on ebay. Otherwise you can go to most autozones or other places like that and get it read for free.

-Shawn

·
8,239 Posts
good excuse to buy yourself a new tool then. OBD2 scanners are a dime a dozen on ebay. I like the autotap unit that plugs into a cheap laptop for mobile scanning.

JH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that I can wait to get a reader or diagnostic tool (that will read as well as set codes) since the procedure involving the #15 fuse reset the warning light. I have driven the car for approximately 100 miles and several times accedlerated at WOT to 90 MPH (sustained 85 MPH) without the warning light illuminating.

Hope that the fault was only temporary, but just wondering that since I have almost 191K on my car, should I be replacing any of the smog system (i.e., catalytic converters or O2 sensors)?

Again, thank you all for your guidance and suggestions for the diagnostic tool. And yes, I was at an AutoZone today and the sales representative stated that they had stopped renting out the diagnostic tools since they were being used by non-BAR repair shops.

Oh well....that is part of living in California.

Thank you for your time and replies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts