TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if there is another replacement for the Walker P/N 41826 ?

Walker Exhaust 41826 Walker Exhaust Intermediate Pipes | Summit Racing

Seems it's been discontinued..

I know the '96/7s came with this pipe from the factory, but, no luck finding any at salvage yards near me. I know I can simply weld a pipe in place of it, however I would actually like to keep it clampable.

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
333 Posts
no power gained by deleting it.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,159 Posts
Any local exhaust shop should be able to weld a pipe in place without removing the bolting flange for a relatively low price.

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
I agree; my local shop only wanted $100 to put in the Mandrel bent dual setup.

·
SuperNewbie
3,159 Posts
I'm well aware of that. As I mentioned in the OP, I don't want it welded.
Sorry man, thought you meant welding the front half of the exhaust to the back half. What are you trying to achieve, what's your plan?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry man, thought you meant welding the front half of the exhaust to the back half. What are you trying to achieve, what's your plan?
There's actually a small hole in the muffler, so it's just useless to me and gets in the way currently. Muffler shops around me don't seem to want to do anything around where I live for under $100. Also, in case I need to remove the trans or driveshaft in the future, it will make life a little easier. And while it may not free up any power, if it changed the exhaust note a little that would be nice.

·
SuperNewbie
3,159 Posts
There's actually a small hole in the muffler, so it's just useless to me and gets in the way currently. Muffler shops around me don't seem to want to do anything around where I live for under $100. Also, in case I need to remove the trans or driveshaft in the future, it will make life a little easier. And while it may not free up any power, if it changed the exhaust note a little that would be nice.
Ok. That said. The resonator is part of the front half of the exhaust. Just to be clear about what I meant in my first comment, you could have that part replaced and welded in place without welding the entire system together so that you can't drop the trans. Or as XR7-4.6 stated, the pipe could be made with a slip fit. But the chances of finding a new bolt in replacement for that piece are slim to none. Are there any pick a part yards near you? Can you grab a good used one?

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,017 Posts
It doesn’t really change the exhaust note, if you have a muffler delete you might just notice more drone in the cabin, that’s pretty much all it was deemed necessary for first place, but it was cheaper to not use it so Ford deleted it. I never noticed an actual sound difference in an otherwise totally stock exhaust 94 vs a 97. It doesn’t make removing the trans or driveshaft any easier either, the whole back half of the exhaust it’s clamped to needs to come off regardless to just partially lower the fuel tank. Knocks off a little weight to the rear pipes I suppose.

If you don’t want a shop to touch it I agree with supergordo, scour the yards to find a 96-97 section. Factory pipes were a low grade stainless steel(I forget the grade but the one that rusts on the surface but never rusts through) so it’ll be better than the walker part that most likely was just aluminized mild steel

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
333 Posts
sorry to have assumed

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Factory pipes were a low grade stainless steel(I forget the grade but the one that rusts on the surface but never rusts through) so it’ll be better than the walker part that most likely was just aluminized mild steel

Probably 400 series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts