TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a great deal on a set of 4 Thunderbird LX wheels at the local junkyard from a '93 Thunderbird that came in today with some front end damage, a pretty lousy interior, and a 3.8L V6 (when the fenders had V8 badges on them... :rolleyes:). They are the early LX wheels and a couple of them appear to be dulling of have the shiny coating wearing off. When I bought them I just thought it was dirt and didnt think of it, but when I was washing and polishing them they just got worse.

Is that really just a shiny coating over rough ugly metal? I'd like to make them look new but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a guy who can give me a great deal on some powdercoating, would that work?

Thanks. :)

The wheels are this style:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe those wheels are just painted. If you got them media blasted and powder coated they would look brand new
Thats what I thought, thanks. :)

They have powdercoating in that color right? I've only ever powdercoated stuff black. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Unless they are peeling, no real reason to strip them or blast them if you are repainting unless you have plenty of time and money to kill. I plan on doing my winter Sport wheels with VHT SP 188 and SP 184 clear. Mine have a few dull spots, so I plan on scuffing them and repainting with the silver followed by the clear.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get powder coat in pretty much any color you can get paint
The paint is argent silver I believe
Sweet, thanks guys. :D

Unless they are peeling, no real reason to strip them or blast them if you are repainting unless you have plenty of time and money to kill. I plan on doing my winter Sport wheels with VHT SP 188 and SP 184 clear. Mine have a few dull spots, so I plan on scuffing them and repainting with the silver followed by the clear.
Also a good idea, I think I can get them blasted and powdercoated for extremely cheap (maybe even free) from a friend of mine so if that doesn't work, I like your idea. :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Why not 16's ? Or is this because you can reuse your tires? I saw 3 count em 3 sets of gen2 sc/sport rims at the junkyard. Its funny because its pointless to buy them and ship them because for that money you can get aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why not 16's ? Or is this because you can reuse your tires? I saw 3 count em 3 sets of gen2 sc/sport rims at the junkyard. Its funny because its pointless to buy them and ship them because for that money you can get aftermarket ones.
Yeah, I didnt have the money 4000 miles ago when I bought tires to buy the rims that I want (American Racing AXL in 17") so I just bought tires for the rims that I have (15x6 steelies w/ the locking wire wheel covers). I wish I would have done it then so I wasnt stuck with these 15" tires, but what can I do I'm just a poor kid... :tongue:

I was just going to keep the wheel covers and steelies until I wear out these tires, but these LX wheels were too good to pass up. Not to mention the number of people pestering me to get rid of the ugly wheel covers... :D

What sucks even more is that just a couple months after I bought my 15" tires a set of mint SC wheels like 10 miles from me came up for sale on here for a pretty decent price... :bangwall:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts