TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week I have been reading TCCOA and the littel bird called horspower has been wispering in my ear, and since I am lacking any fundage right now to do anything big I decided to see what I could do for next to nothing. Well I did three of the cheapest things you could do. I removed the Air Silencer, Modified the MAF, and Half Shafted the TB.

Well the results are in and I'm impressed. I just got in from driving to New Orleans to pick up my friend from the air port and was abel to see some of the affects of what I had done, mainly the lowering of RPM's while crusing. Now on to the good stuff.

I cruise at 80 every time I'm on the interstate and I'm used to seeing my tach at 2,500 RPM. Well with all of the above done I was now cruising at 80 with the tach 2,250. Well shoot I thought what does it do at 90? Answer just over 2500. Now for the bigest suprise. Since I don't have a chip or anything else done to my car my govener is set at 112. At this speed I'm usually hitting 3.5 grand on the good ole tach. Not today my friends, at 110 I was crusing at 3 grand even.

OK now I feel special. Now if I could just get around to replacing my air filter and O2 sensors I would be getting better than 21 mpg.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Noooo! Don't listen to the little bird! He's expensive!:p
Actually, keep an eye on your 'Check Engine' light. The MAF mod was one of the first things I did to my car, and after a couple of weeks, it started throwing codes, 1440&1443(right/left bank too lean, if I recall). I put a stock MAF back on after a couple of months, and didn't notice any sort of change- good or bad. I've also heard of people doing this(MAF mod) with no codes, ever. Go figure...
Just a warning and my $.02:D

Peter M

·
Registered
133 Posts
Many people will tell you not mess with the MAF unless you are getting a bigger one and getting a chilp. Glad to hear about the great results.

PS That damn bird won't leave me alone :D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The little bird pesters me continually while my empty wallet mocks me. :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to know I'm not the only onw who hears the pesky bugger. :cool:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
My bird's voice was too soft to heard over the bull call, but now that i own the bull, he bird is louder :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jemplayer said:

Well the results are in and I'm impressed. I just got in from driving to New Orleans to pick up my friend from the air port and was abel to see some of the affects of what I had done, mainly the lowering of RPM's while crusing. Now on to the good stuff.

I cruise at 80 every time I'm on the interstate and I'm used to seeing my tach at 2,500 RPM. Well with all of the above done I was now cruising at 80 with the tach 2,250. Well shoot I thought what does it do at 90? Answer just over 2500. Now for the bigest suprise. Since I don't have a chip or anything else done to my car my govener is set at 112. At this speed I'm usually hitting 3.5 grand on the good ole tach. Not today my friends, at 110 I was crusing at 3 grand even.

am i missing something here? how are your rpms changing vs final speed? unless that mis-cal'd MAF is throwing your computer off so much that its locking the TC at a different time, i dont see how your cruising rpm could have lowered.

and as far as the little birdie, shoot it. preferably with buckshot at close range.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Funny ****.

"Your govenor" is set to a driveshaft speed, not a mph. Any variation over 108 is an indication of different wheel height, or a speedometer error.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm I would think because of the mods the engine would make more HP and thus lower engine speed needed to mantain crusing speed.

Ok let me think about it for a sec. Dam I see what your saying. I guess I'll go get a new MAF next pay check and hope the yards around here have them on the cheap.

I should have said this about my mod on the MAF. I just took out the extra chunk of AL. I didn't mess with the sampeling tube, and was real careful with the sensor.

Hmm I suspected my speedometer was off when I got busted a while back doing 105 and my Speedometer said 110. I didn't question it. Was thankful I didn't go to jail.

Ok so explain to me what the tourque converter is doing and is it bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts