TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats what I want to do as a career. Is there anyone else in the same field who has pointers on the job? I have a vast Knowledge of electronics, so Bestbuy would eb a great one for me, but I'm unsure of what companie offers what

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I haven't heard best buy employees say much good about the companies management. Target is another place that seems to have alot of morons, or so I hear.

www.bestbuysux.org

www.targetunion.org

I guess whether it's a good place to work or not depends on what type of manager you want to be? lol

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I work for Guitar Center Corporate .

I'm a lower class employee so my experience is not great .

All I know is that today is slow and I'm bored .

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them .

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i dont want to be a dick manager, but it would be my goal to have the best store in the area in terms of sales and stuff. I'd also want it so most employees enjoyed the job

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've been a retail manager for 3 years now and have had success in excess of 240%. If I could only give one peice of advice it is to keep up the moral of your people. If they are happy, they'll make you money. If not, you're screwed. So make it fun and have fun.
In response to being a dick manager: An employee wont mind being worked hard. What they don't like is being disrespected. Espessialy in front of a customer. And if you say you are going to do something, you HAVE to do it. You drop the ball once, they'll remember it forever.
I wish you luck.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
in your case.. yes...

at 20, don't expect to be taken seriously as a store manager until you hit like.. say... 30

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also if you plan on reaching a district level, most companies today require a degree of some kind.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I heard Costco casheers after a few years make 40k, management there should pay pretty well.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was a retail manager for a chain of hockey proshops for about one year. Mind you, I spent three years getting to that position. We went out of business last February.......poor upper management and ownership investments lead to bankruptcy.
We owned four pro shops, online store, ran hockey clinics and leagues.
I was in charge of purchasing, team orders, inventory, rink scheduling for one of the locations.
Things that come to mind first:
1.Lead by example; you want your employees on time, you better be on time.
2.Learn how to make use of computer programs, if you do not use specific software then you must learn to make Microsoft Excel sheets keeping track of all purchasing, invoices, etc.
3.Records, Records, Records- Keep track of everything. Learn to create great relationships with your vendors. You order something, you write down who, what, when, where and who you spoke to.
4.FOLLOW UP on orders. You order some inventory, you must keep track on when it is coming, so you are able to inform your customers when you expect the product, and so you have enough workers there to load/unload and stock the inventory.
5.ALWAYS check the Bill of Lading vs. your Purchase Order and Packing slip. Make sure you received everything you order, people will accidently and/or purposely short you on product.
6.Make no promises to customers. Never GUARANTEE you can get them a product until you have confirmed shipping and a tracking number. You upset the customer, do you think he/she is coming back?
7.If you do disappoint the customer, you must learn to express great concern and offer a discount or some sort of acceptable compromise.

You have to be great with computers. I have successfully learned two types of software: BizTracker (hockey proshop) and MetalWare the software I use at the company I work for now, a Steel service center.

If you do not have any degrees in management, it will be hard to get into a big corporation.

But not all retail management positions are going to be corporations. You could be a manager at a mom & pop auto shop, or used car dealership.

At the same time, you can have all the degrees you want but experience matters most. Communication skills and EXPERIENCE mean more than anything in retail.

It's not anything that can be taught, you have to get out there, start at the bottom- watch your managers and see what is effective and what ISN'T effective. Make mental notes at all times. Every employee will respond to different types of instructions- there is no ONE way to talk to people. Some need straight forward directions, other need to see examples- you have to respect and learn to cooperate.

If you do go to college, take lots of psychology classes and Interpersonal Communication classes, learn how your body language and other types of communication can work for you and against you.

YOU MUST PRESENT EVERY THING TO THEM IN A POSITIVE MANNER.
You cannot be negative and say "Oh I know this is stupid, I can't believe the owner is making us do this, but we have to."
And always, ALWAYS you have to stand behind your workers- you are the manager. If they make a mistake, confront the cusomer or upper management with apology and explain how you can improve the situation.

I could go on, but you just need the experience.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I heard Costco casheers after a few years make 40k, management there should pay pretty well.
I'm sorry, but without any type of proof....you will never see me believe that. That is a $15/hour job TOPS. It requires no type of degree....if it was that easy, everyone would do it.

For example...my sister has been a cashier at Home Depot for 3 years and makes under $15 an hour.
Her boyfriend has his degree in criminal justice (has all police certs), makes under around $15 an hour being a Loss Prevention employee.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Depending on the location and if there is overtime.. Most cashiers start aorund 7-8 there.. .50cent to $1 per year for raise unless you move up the chain.. But being a manager there is a heavy task..

I work as a assistant manager at a parts store and its treating me well so far...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I'm sorry, but without any type of proof....
I don't blame you, I didn't believe it either. Now I was hired at over that at my current job, and make well over that after 6 years but that's still a good chunk of change for a cashier.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/CostcoTheAntiWalMart.aspx?page=1

From the bottom of page 3
Costco has one of the lowest turnover rates in retailing. Among employees who have been with the company for at least a year, just 6% leave annually. That may be because store employees such as cashiers can earn more than $40,000 a year after only four years on the job.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
I buy the costco bit, cause around here they hire like, once or twice a year, and when they do their cart pushers and basic lot attendant types, box boys etc, start out at 10 dollars an hour...

I was a manager at McDonalds for over a year and a half, and I made 8.80, not to mention I'd been with the company a total of almost 2 years.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm sorry, but without any type of proof....you will never see me believe that. That is a $15/hour job TOPS. It requires no type of degree....if it was that easy, everyone would do it.

For example...my sister has been a cashier at Home Depot for 3 years and makes under $15 an hour.
Her boyfriend has his degree in criminal justice (has all police certs), makes under around $15 an hour being a Loss Prevention employee.
Yeah but with a Loss preventino job, you can get a bonus for catching somebody stealing, even better if its an employee. My buddy was doing that and the company gave a $200 bonus if an employee was caught stealing.

- Dan

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's also very easy to lose your job if you stop someone who does not have the item on them. It is verrry easy to lose it. You can watch someone rip off the tags, hide it in their pants, but if they SOMEHOW get it off of their possession before they hit the exit doors and you stop them...you will get written up. EVEN if you saw them rip the tags off and shove it in their clothing. As long as it isn't on them as they step past the EXIT...they get off scot-free.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't blame you, I didn't believe it either. Now I was hired at over that at my current job, and make well over that after 6 years but that's still a good chunk of change for a cashier.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/CostcoTheAntiWalMart.aspx?page=1

From the bottom of page 3
wow, it's almost sickening.
A beginning teacher can make less than a 4-year cashier.......
I guess this only shows how bad the Job Market is in Michigan. In the Steel business, I can tell you a LOT of 40-50 year old men get paid under $10/hour to work in the factory. 75% of Truck Drivers working for steel companies make $15. I know of a couple that make $20ish, and that is rare.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i work for prime wireless. a verizon distributor here in wichita. i managed to get a boss that i hadnt known for very long, but offered me the job, rather than having to go and apply, submit a resume, etc. we have had customers that are from as far as houston texas actually make the drive to wichita, when they are in the area. even if it is a 3 hour drive... just to be taken care of better than verizon corporate stores. we are great in customer service, we actually give a sh!t wether or not you come back, and we're cheaper than most stores... lol. he is a really good manager...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
find a stable company with an established retirement program. Dont expect others in management and your coworkers to be as excited about bettering themselves as you. Expect to deal with morons, especially coworkers. Trust me, ive worked in retail for over 8 years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There are morons everywhere...everyone should get used it. And if you are the moron, well just don't procreate and stop pissing off the people trying to get sh*t done at work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts