TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to try to install a new shifter in my car. The shifter however was deisgned to operate using a linkage, not a cable. Would it be a ridiculous amount of work to adapt the shifter to accept the cable in the T-bird?

Why would I want to do this? Well, I don't care if I have reverse lock out, and the shifter I want to use won't go from drive to Neutral without pushing the button if you have manual shifted anyway, and it can't go from Neutral to Reverse without pushing the button either. I hate the stock shifter, if I give it a hit to go from 2nd to drive, I end up somewhere passed drive. I really have to hold the shifter and move it to the next gear. I want to adapt an old Mopar slap stick shifter. If you have ever driven an old Mopar, you know how great this shifter was. Basically, if you drop it down into first, you can press the shifter forward without pushing the button. if you slam it into 2nd and leave your hadn pressing on it, it will never go any farther. If you release pressure, then slap it again, it will go to drive, now button action required. Now that you are in drive, you can hit the shifter all day, but it won't go into neutral unless you press the button. Now, if you are cruising around in drive, you can freely move the lever into neautral, very good for cleaning the engine out. But you can't get to Reverse or 2nd like this without pushing the button. Basically, it has got to be the greatest shifter ever designed for a car from the factory. They thought of everything. And I really think the little chrome stick with the wood grain ball on top would look pimp in my console :).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts