TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy pulleys for my current motor and eventually buy a pi motor, will i be able to reuse them?

Thanks,
Will

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
are you talking about underdrive pullies???
if so, it would depend on the year of the pi engine, if the engine is a late 2001 engine and up, no because i do believe that it is a bit different
if early 2001-99 then yes
I would only reuse them if they are not piggy back style
someone correct me if i am wrong, I'm not exactly a 4.6 guy :tongue:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mn12xr7,
I have been reading posts with the search feature and it seems that many people regret getting their pulleys. This contradicts the tech articles that says you will receive a noticeable difference. Do most people regret this mod?

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The gains aren't worth the lack of charging while sitting in traffic, IMHO. But if you want a set, I'll put my stockers back on, and sell you my Steedas for $75.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
yeah some people do regret them others don't
the ud pulleys are kinda harsh on pre-93 mn12s because the amps on the alt. are only 70 and on higher end models with JBL while 94-up have 130amps
the most you'll see is about a 1/4 tenth of a second of your e/t that's about 1 or 2 horses

are you planning to do a pi swap??? if so from what year is the engine and from what (mustang, explorer)

-Orlando

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Will3799 said:
thanks mn12xr7,
I have been reading posts with the search feature and it seems that many people regret getting their pulleys. This contradicts the tech articles that says you will receive a noticeable difference. Do most people regret this mod?

Thanks
Will
I cannot speak for most, but I don't regret installing pulleys at all. The only frustrating part I encountered was getting the underdrive pulley on correctly. My experience: the entire installation process took a little over two hours, but, I'm rather novice at this. I observed a lower charge on the voltmeter when at a traffic light, but the engine doesn't even get close to stalling, even with the A/C on.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Mine has never stalled, but if I get stuck in traffic for a while with the AC on, and don't sit and idle it up, my voltage will get low enough for the check gauges light to come on. I also have a new alternator and battery, so who knows? Some people have no problems at all. I watched Kenneth's Mark sit and idle for a little over an hour, and then he shut if off, and his battery was dead though.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I never really sit for long periods of time at idle, but I've got underdrives and still think they're worth while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts