TCCoA Forums banner

Rev Issues

904 views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Eric123 
#1 ·
Alright,

Well my car is currently hibernating but I got out there to start her up the other night and she's always done this.

When I go to rev on a cold start it wont go past 3k RPMS or so if I floor it, if I ease on the gas it'll get up there.

What do you think? Fuel Filter? I'm going to be changing the Oxygen Sensors sometimes this week to try that but I'm running out of gas to just let the car sit there and crank every once in a while.

- Pelezo

#3 ·
Because she's been sitting for a few months now and my pops told me I need to start her every once in a while and get the engine temp up to spec.

I'm not giving it gas on a start, when the engines been started then I try, sorry that was my fault for not typing the question right.

- Pelezo

#9 ·
Well,

For one I'm on a pretty tight budget right now because of the new transmission that's going to be coming in and I only make $6/hr so it's pretty freaking stretched out as it is.

- Pelezo

#10 ·
A 16 year old bashing on a 17 year old asking him why he cant come up with the money. I dont know, i find that pretty funny.

#13 ·
you never ever rev an engine when its cold, and hasent been started thats when you start breaking things, you cant afford $10 in gas, how will you afford hundreds when you blow something cause you couldnt wait for the engine to get warm. I live in Ny its Freezing here i dont go out to drive unless my car has been runing for 15-20 min, and trust me you wont run out of gas if you let it warm up for 10 min if its close to E. Do yourself a favor insted of starving your car later, save a few bucks and get a few gal. in the tank, thow some stabill fuel additive in there too so the gas doenst get funky from sitting.

#15 ·
EPelezo said:
Jesus christ, I never said I couldnt afford the gas...will you people stop putting words into my mouth!

- Pelezo
So whats the big deal with the gas then? Tight budget or not, you'll put gas in it to keep it running. Now, I know later model cars have a limiter on how high you can rev your engine out of gear. I doubt your 95 has that limiter. Maybe a mouse nest in your intake?

#16 ·
Because,

I'm putting the down payment on the transmission and there's no point in having a full tank of gas in the car when it's just going to sit there for another month anyways, money's spent better elsewhere for now.

No, it's been doing this ever since I first got the car from my dad, he claimed that it never did it before and blamed it on me, which in part could be true but I don't know why.

- Pelezo

#17 ·
That sounds exactly like what my 95 was doing when the MAF was dirty. I would clean it as it says in the Tech articles.
Once I cleaned mine the car ran great.

#18 ·
Yeah,

Tried to clean it, also tried DMcBrideBostons old MAFS that he sent to me for free (thanks dave!)

No fix, would the front O2 sensors cause this?

- Pelezo

#19 ·
the o2 sensors? none of them would cause that type of problem, look into either something else that's electrical or some kind of fuel or air delivery problem. but no o2 sensors, they'll hurt your engine in the long run if you leave bad ones on your car, but they wont cause a problem like that.

#20 ·
The injectors are old, never been cleaned or replaced, the spark plug wires have been replaced though and so have the plugs...hmmm

It eventually stops, just does it when it just got done starting.

- Pelezo

#21 ·
have you tried any fuel injector cleaners? like lucus or seafoam? try some of those and fill your tank half way, no one said you had to fill the whole thing, give it enough so you can start it with out running out of gas, just make sure you put the cleaner in before you fill the tank halfway, it will cost you like 15 dollars max, with the cleaner and 10 dollars in gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.