TCCoA Forums banner

Reverse is park, neutral is drive?? Trans acting up

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  4.3Lcougar 
#1 ·
a couple of weeks ago my trans started acting up not going into drive n wouldnt shift unless i babied it up to 4k rpm, then after a 30 minute highway drive i pull into a gas station and when i tried putting it into reverse it wouldnt engage n felt like it was in park, both neutral and drive are drive and first is normal, now all of a sudden it drives perfect first thru third but goes into neutral when it should shift into OD, i had the trans fluid flushed a couple days ago and the old fluid was pretty dirty but didnt smell to burnt.

any suggestions? i heard it might be the shift linkage needs adjusting but this is my first automatic and i dont know about all the sensors ect. that go wrong in them. any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
It is your MLPS out of adjustment.

#4 ·
Hey,
Just and idea for you. I had some issuse with my trans not staying in overdrive, not anything like you are describing but, what I think you could check out is the position of the transmission range sensor. Sounds like it may need to be adjusted or replaced. I had to replace mine to get things going again. I also just attempted to look up some info about your engaement issues. The first things it says to check are the fluid, wire harness connections and trans range selector adjustment. I think you should check the range selector. Most likely on the drives side of the trans. The sensor itself will have 2 alignment lines that need to line up when the car is in Neutral.

Later,
Nick

#5 · (Edited)
He has an AOD. It's not electronic and therefore MLPS can't be the problem.

I'm no tranny expert (or amatuer for that matter) but I'd say maybe your shift linkage and/or TV cable needs adjusting. I could be totally off, though I'm sure I'll be corrected otherwise.

Edit: Same thing to Links432. He simply has a neutral safety switch. All it does it activate the back-up lamps and prevent starting if not in park/neutral. His transmission isn't electronic so it can't be this switch.

#6 ·
You know i didnt even pay attention to the cars year.Sorry for that.

#7 · (Edited)
edit: shoot you have a AOD dont you? not a 4R70W.....errr nvm...id say the tv calble needs adjusting...but however the 91 5.0 uses the same part number for my 97 V8..hmmm

For you 4R70W Guys:
i agree its your Manual Lever Posistion Sensor or "MLPS". They arent too pricey or all that difficult to remove/install. on my 95 it was located on the drivers side of the tranny near the pan area right next to the cable. it should be right next to the exhuast.

Jack up the car and leave the car in park/e-brake one. Might want to put some chalks behind the rear tires. Unplug the harness connecting to the mlps and remove the 2 screws holding it in place. you wont need an extension but you will need small hands or flexible ones like me heheh. As soon as you take it off get in the car and put it in Neutral. Look at the new sensor and turn the middle to the "neutral" position. You will know what im talking about when you see it. then go under and install the new sensor not turning the middle dial. Plug back the harness and go back to the car and put it back in park. Remove the rear chalks and start the car. you should be able to start it in Park or nuetral. Put her in reverse and test all the gear positions. Mine sounded very loud changing positions for the first 30 minutes but then it was ok.

At autozone they are called "Neutral Safety Switches" and ran me like 22 bucks or something. Make sure the one you are getting has the red gasket between the cover and sensor. Once again you will know what im talking about.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...|~Ford|~Thunderbird|~1991|~NONE|~0.1|~NONE|~W

#8 ·
Sounds to me like the bracket that holds the shifter cable to either the shifter or the side of the trans is either loose or broken or something. Easiest way to see what is going on is put the car up on a lift (or ramps if you don't have access to a lift) and have someone move the shifter one notch at a time while you look at the gear selector on the side of the trans. If the shifter on the side of the trans is not in sync with the shifter in the car, then the problem is most likely in the cable or where the cable is attached. If everything moves in sync, then the problem is in the trans.

Mike

#9 ·
Domesticbird said:
on my 95 it was located on the passenger side of the tranny near the pan area right next to the cable.
I believe it is on the driver side sir.

#11 ·
TV cable has nothing to do with a reverse=park issue the shift cable is messed up or the linkage inside the transmission. Being an aod there is the possibility of having the direct clutches welded together which will basically put the transmission in 3rd gear all of the time. Reverse will not exist and will not be able to move in that position. Park will still hold the wheels,but will be noisy. If you put the trans into neutral and start the car the car will immediately move with it. If it started working the direct clutches broke loose but the overdrive band is still destroyed.
Alan

#14 ·
sounds like your transmission linkage, the same thing happened to mine, however the cable popped off the ball on the bracket. after i put it back on it started doing what your describing. i had to re-rig it. wasn't hard at all and ive had no problems since. this was about 4 months ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.