TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wreck this past Tuesday
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75737
I have now got a Montego Permier as a rental and here's my take on it.

Pro:
Lots of room (can probably umm you know in the trunk if you want to)
Five 6'+ adults have no problem being comfortable
Good Mpg (I've been hard on it and geting about 23 city)
Quick (nothing offical but quick than my 96)

Cons:
Looses traction on heavy throttle
FWD
More body-roll than I'm accustomed to
The amount of buttons/gadgets took a day or two to figure out

My suggestions:
If you have the money get the AWD version and if you are a family of large people ignore everything else out there this is your car.
Ford should make it a bit more aerodynamic to help with its image.

4 1/2 stars for the FWD 5spd Montego Permier.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
i personally really like the new fusion/montego/zephyr.

Very cool looking cars and i have heard only good things. Apparently they handle really well.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apline, the Montego is a 500 the Montery is a Fusion.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
haha, wasnt paying attention....

thats whay i was questioning it when you mentioned you werent very happy with the way the car handled.

It all makes sense now though.

lol

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Dad was going to get a Montego for Mom (She drove NOTHING but Montegos back in the 70's). But then she announced she wanted a Mountaineer. First time in over 60 years she has wanted a truck! Then he was going to get one for himself, but he's been driving her old (02) Continental. Says he's going to get an 04 King Ranch as soon as he can justify having it plus moms 04 Mountaineer.

But I do like the 500/Montego. Also like the fusion/zephyr. Good looking cars.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was thinking I was wrong when posted but oh well... too many M names.

·
Registered
775 Posts
And you get this as a bonus

Insurance group alters auto ratings
Medals make car comparison easier
December 5, 2005

BY JUSTIN HYDE
FREE PRESS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- A new system allowing consumers to more easily compare the safety of different vehicles has been created by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The insurance industry group, which pushes automakers for more crashworthy vehicles, said it will award gold and silver medals to models that score top marks in front, side and rear crash tests. The system makes it harder for a model to win a top ranking.

Of the 52 cars and minivans that underwent the most recent tests, 10 from the 2006 model year received medals so far, with only four models getting golds: the Saab 9-3, the Subaru Legacy sedan and four-door Honda Civic and a joint gold for the Ford Five Hundred and its mechanical twin, the Mercury Montego.

The insurance group gave manufacturers a heads-up months ago about the testing change, and automakers were allowed to nominate test vehicles.

The gold medal requires a vehicle to receive good ratings in a 40-m.p.h., front, offset crash test, a 31-m.p.h. side-impact test designed to simulate a hit from an SUV, and a 20-m.p.h. rear-impact test aimed at predicting whiplash injuries. Vehicles that win silver medals get good marks in front and side impact tests and acceptable scores in the rear-impact trial.

The IIHS noted in a news release Sunday that all 10 of the vehicles it awarded medals are fairly new designs, and all have side air bags. Five models from Volkswagen AG and its Audi luxury unit won silver awards, as did the Chevrolet Malibu sedan with side air bags. Several automakers won no medals, including DaimlerChrysler AG, Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

The IIHS had previously named top picks in several categories of vehicles, such as luxury sedans. The new system "makes it easier to see which vehicles are at the head of the class in terms of safety," said institute spokesman Russ Rader.

"It also puts more pressure on the manufacturers to make further improvements in vehicle safety, particularly in designing seat and head restraints that protect people in rear impacts."

The institute said no minivans won medals due to poor scores in rear-impact tests. Pickups and SUVs were excluded because the institute has yet to conduct side-impact tests on many of those models.

Sue Cischke, Ford Motor Co.'s vice president for environmental and safety engineering, said the IIHS system would help consumers cut through a confusing clutch of vehicle safety measures.

"This is a good composite of all three criteria, and I think it's going to be difficult for people to excel in all three areas," Cischke said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts