TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, this may be a retarded question, but, when im in park just reving my engine trying to wish it didnt sound like the grand theft auto cars, my car wouldnt rev past 3500 rpm, never really noticed it until now.

does this happen often? am i a stupidazz for even having to ask?:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no problem with your car, it is supposed to do that... Do you really want your motor to swing past 5k rpm while in neutral or in park?

Now stop sitting in your car revving the piss out of it in park.
awww c'mon , you never sat in park and just hit it a little to hear how you sound? lol i know i do baby!

okay though so my car is supposed to do that..cool...:cool:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was just giving you a hard time. Occasionally... guilty as charged.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I think there is a lot of us that rev our motors when in park or neutral.. just not quite to 3500 RPM.

-Melon

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
intersting....when did Ford put this on the birds?

cause when my 95 was stock, it would rev to redline in park/nuetral...

·
Banned
754 Posts
my 96 cat is all stock, and I can rev it to the redline, has no problems doing 3500rpm.

I do notice though, when I SLOWLY, REALLY SLOWLY rev it up to 1000rpm it kind of "chufs out" or something and sounds like it wants to quit....only for a brief second and then it livens up again. it only does it if I let i come all the way back down to idle, and then repeat the process.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think mine would go past that before the limiter was raised (or taken off, I don't remember). I would think it should be able to go past 3,500 in park. If it's not a problem when you're driving then I don't know what it would be.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
I idled mine well past 4500 in park when I sea foamed my car earlier this year. Stock EEC program.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yep. The car doesn't have a 2 step in it. It should rev all the way to the 5400 or whatever rev limiter. I would check to see if the MAF sensor is dirty. Mine wouldn't rev past 3500 when the maf sensor was seriously dirty. I dont know if it would help your situation but if you haven't cleaned it I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My bad, I ASSUMED that since I can adjust my neutral redline via xcal2 the factory set that accordingly as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep. The car doesn't have a 2 step in it. It should rev all the way to the 5400 or whatever rev limiter. I would check to see if the MAF sensor is dirty. Mine wouldn't rev past 3500 when the maf sensor was seriously dirty. I dont know if it would help your situation but if you haven't cleaned it I'd give it a shot.
yeah actually the maf has never been cleaned, i should probably look into how to clean it im sure its easy

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Yeah it's a security torx bit. I can't remember which size. I wanna say t47 but don't quote me on that. Unplug the MAF sensor. Then undo the 2 little screws on the top. Then carefully pull the box off the top of the housing and get your electrical cleaner out. There are 2 small wires on the MAF sensor. You wanna spray them with electrical cleaner until they are clean. I'm pretty sure if it's never been cleaned it's probably black. I carefully use a qtip on mine if it's so gummed up it won't come off with a spray.

After you clean it and make sure it's dry put it all back together. I'd unplug the battery for a bit while doing this too so that it resets the computer. I don't know if you don't have a CEL or if it's burned out but this will ensure that anything the computer has learned is completely wiped out and you're starting fresh again. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
my rpm's dont stop at 35, learned that the hard way. I leaned over my seat and my foot slipped and mashed the gas in park and tapped redline.... car didnt like that.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Yeah it's a security torx bit. I can't remember which size. I wanna say t47 but don't quote me on that. Unplug the MAF sensor. Then undo the 2 little screws on the top. Then carefully pull the box off the top of the housing and get your electrical cleaner out. There are 2 small wires on the MAF sensor. You wanna spray them with electrical cleaner until they are clean. I'm pretty sure if it's never been cleaned it's probably black. I carefully use a qtip on mine if it's so gummed up it won't come off with a spray.

After you clean it and make sure it's dry put it all back together. I'd unplug the battery for a bit while doing this too so that it resets the computer. I don't know if you don't have a CEL or if it's burned out but this will ensure that anything the computer has learned is completely wiped out and you're starting fresh again. Hope that helps.
T20 security torex.

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
Bad plug wires or Clogged cats can also cause that; but it would drive like a brick, most likely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts