TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 months ago I had to take the right rear suspension off to fix 2 broken lugs. Ever since then I have had trouble keeping the stud lock bolt to stay on, and my ABS light has stayed on (but that is another post). I have bought a new bolt from Ford and tightened it down with all my dads weight (and he should have been enough), but on my way back across the state the other night, it came loose again causing a sound as if the tire was comming off. I have one more new bolt to put on, should I try some blue lock tight to help keep it on, or is it a bigger problem?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Do you mean part #6 in this drawing? If so, it must get tightened to 188-254 Lb-ft. I have no idea why you couldn't use threadlock, but I haven't found anything about using threadlock in the service manual or tech articles....

Edit corrected typographical/grammatical error...

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
There is an old trick to keep those pesky axle nuts loosening. First take a new nut
and torque it to factory spec (250lb/ft). Use an old nut and thread it on the axle up to
the new nut then tighten it to 100lb/ft.

I have had this problem also. The use of the second nut acts as a ‘jam’ nut and
won’t allow the primary nut to loosen. In some circumstances it seems that there
can be a sympathetic resonance in the axle/hub assembly which given time
can cause this to happen.

Hope that helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts