TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my trans. will slip when cold if I turn right sharply.

Is this a common issue, or just old age?

Car has 174xxx miles on it, but I seem to recall reading about a similar issue on the 1995 tbird, and a replacement trans. pan to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You need the 96+ trans pan with the dimple, which prevents fluid starvation on right hand turns...while you're there you might as well do a level 3 jmod and a big trans cooler.

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
This happens with me on the Cougar as well. As best as I can tell it's fluid starvation like Earl suggested.

FYI - doing the J-mod to an already dead trans won't help it much, if at all. The J-mod is preventive maintenance, not a repair.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Early 60's 2 Speed Ford O Matics did the same thing~!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Did 1995 Mustang GT's with a 5.0 liter V-8 have 4R70W transmissions? I had a '95 Mustang GT that had that same problem; when I would make a right turn, at moderate speeds, the engine would rev up like the trans went into neutral for several seconds.

Of course, the Ford dealer could never find any problem!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
No, they had AOD-E, but the pan would have been pretty much the same (no deep sump). So yes, fluid starvation.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, the pans are pretty cheep at your local parts stores too, though if you have the original reusable gasket, i would keep it, their actually pretty good; i hate the aftermarket rubber things I'm using.
and its just slipping on right turns then? not on straight runs. i mean, if it isn't slipping all the time its probably OK for a Jmod. and it WILL wake up you vehicle, but if it's a daily driver, the 1-2 spring should probably stay in. mines out, and its a bit harsh if you don't know how to drive her just right. on an old drive-train I'm expecting failures any day now because of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this the correct pan or no?

I'm sure it's the stock one that came on the car...but it does have a 'dimple' in it.

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
No, the one you want will look like the one on the top right:

Alan (Dirtyd0g) can get you the pan and filter for a good price.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, thats the one upper right. the dimple on yours is to hold the magnet ring in place in the pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts