TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was looking at a holcom motorsports add.....and saw that the 8.8s have many diffrent ratios.....that may fit some peoples need....and im wonder why people dont sugest them.......like they have 3.31 & 3.90 ratios......witch seem like they may benifit some people.....like the 3.90 as a middle ground for the person who cant decide between 4.10 and 3.73....is it b/c these ratios are hard to come by?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I heard of 2.27, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.11, 4.55. Those ratios you mentioned I first time hear. I have 3.27, I could use 3.73.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
uhhhh...

3.90 is a popular 9" ford gear.. as is the 4.11 (hence, not 4.10 as is 8.8' rear)

make sure you were reading the right thing.. i have searched long and hard for a 3.90 gear for an 8.8" and it not happening.. i even corrected an ebay seller who was selling rear ends to that and he has such had ZERO problems..

JD

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check here:

http://www.motivegear.com/press/88inch.html

From the site:
"Chicago, IL. – Motive Gear has added six new 8.8” gear ratios to its industry leading ring & pinion line. The company is now offering 3.90, 4.30, 4.88, 5.14, 5.71, and 6.14 ratios..."

Art M.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and those are what im talkin about......3.90 may end up in my bird :)

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
cool, more options.. now we just have to find a reseller, Motive only sells wholesale

JD

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
holcomb motorsports has them......i saw it in mm&ff near the front....thats why i posted about it......3.90 gear set is all me

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
There's a bonanza of gear ratios for the 8.8" rear end ... all depends on your application of course ... looks like most of the ratios are already listed above.

With the 3.90 gear ratio ... I don't think anyone's made a speedo gear to correct for it. When people go to 3.73's, they use a 21 tooth purple speedo gear (I think). When they go to 4.10's, they use a different speedo gear.

However, with the 3.90's, I don't think there's a corrective speedo gear ... yet ... might want to look into that. I hope I'm wrong though ... the 3.90 set is a good ratio ...

I don't think anyone mentioned 4.30 gears ... many of the guy's with Cobras go with them, as it really helps get you into the power band of the 4v. Does no good with our cars though. I remember someone saying they drop into OD in the 1/4 mile with 4.10's .... so 3.90's or 3.73's are the best ones to investigate (for those interested in drag racing).

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with 4.10s i dont think you hit od....but you do hit then end of 3rd gear.......and im not to worried about my speedo....its alreayd off with my tires a good bit....i coul djust get the 21 tooth one....it reads high now...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Idea!

A whole bunch of members cash in, and we buy gears wholesale, and sell them to our selves at no profit.

What is the minimum gears that could be bought?
Is it possible to buy an assortment of ratios?
What would be the price of each ring and pinion set if bought wholesale? (assume at least 100 users)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
just fyi

www.pro50.com also has the 3.90 ring and pinion available for the for 8.8" rear :D

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.90.....kills all...keeps some gas mileged of the 3.73s...and give almost the perfromance of 4.10s

1 - 12 of 12 Posts