TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my dads Tbird the other day. It had died on him and he had to get it towed home. Anywho i was checking the plugs and 5-8 were clean and looked great for an engine with 205k miles and the original plugs. Now number one was clean. Number 2 plug had a faint smell of raw fuel. Number 3 was drenched in oil, and number 4 had oil in the threads. But the electrode was clean. Now im new to mod motors so please bear with me. I only work on old 302s and falcon 6s. When it has oil on the electrode would that be bad valve seals? Or would the rings be going bad on it? I dont have a compression tester at the moment. Also when a plug has oil on the threads would that be a bad valve cover gasket? Thanks for any info. My dad is getting a windstar now and i want to fix up this tbird to drive since i currenty dont have any daily. - Alex

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys! The odd thing was that the car didnt smoke one bit. Do any of you know if the parts store carry the tool to remove the valve springs? Or it is possible to make a tool to remove them? Also can i use the rope method to hold up the valve? Since I dont own an air compressor.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Summitt has valve spring compressor for the 4.6 for like 29.95, made by Trick Flow. Might be DirtyDog or RichardP here or others have it?

205,000 miles on stock, original plugs, on a '95 ..... WOW . That's a long time. I'm thinking of doing mine at 64,ooo. I have the tool too, thnk I'm gonna do stem seals when I do plugs.

205,000 miles!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Do all the routine maintenance first, then go from there. I'm surprised those spark plugs have lasted that long. they are supposed to be replaced every 100,000 miles, but I've never seen the originals last that long. I like to replace mine every 50,000 miles, that is, if they are the Motorcraft platinums.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i had bad valve stem seals and all the oil went to the intake manifold, caused some knocking under acceleration.

i would do that comp test, probably rings or head gasket.

have you overheated your engine?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
How is that possible? It defies gravity and the vacuum of the motor.
yup, not possible...if oil is leaking past the valve seals, it would have to crawl from the intake valve up into the intake port, all the way through the 16"+ long runner, and into the intake manifold plenum volume...yea that's gonna happen lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So far ive put in a new air filter. Cleaned the maf sensor. Took out the plastic intake and cleaned it out. Changed all the plugs to a set of autolite copper 194s that i had(these are only temp). I did the air silencer delete mod. If i cant find the spring compressor locally ill order the trick flow one, thanks for the heads up on it. Heres a picture of the plugs, sorry for the horrible quality my phone sucks. Anywho my dad never changed the plugs for the 66k miles he had it. Hes not a car guy at all, luckily the car gene jumped a generation. Before him the only other owner was this lady that lives on his block. When i had a chance to talk to her she said she only had oil changes and filters swapped on it. The other four plugs looked just like the first one in the pic. The third one is the one with the oil on the threads. The second one was the one that was drenched in oil. And i barely noticed that the fourth had corrossion on it. Im guessing from water accumulation in the plug well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
How is that possible? It defies gravity and the vacuum of the motor.
not exactly sure how it happened but i took my intake manifold when removing the engine off my car and inside the plenum was covered in oil sludge from the stem oil seals inside the intake port in the head and intake plenum. i was burning about 1qt of oil a month, thought it was my rings but compression test show that everything was fine. i suspected of the valve stem seals so i replaced them, cleaned the sludge with some brake cleaner. nomore knocking under hard acceleration and its been 8 mos. hasn't burned a drop of oil:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i spent $60 ordering valve seals and the VC gaskets only to find out that my dad sold the Tbird. oh well. But at least ill have the stuff ready if i ever decide to swap a 4.6 into my maverick....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
maybe? but how do explain my oil consumption gone
not exactly sure how it happened but i took my intake manifold when removing the engine off my car and inside the plenum was covered in oil sludge from the stem oil seals inside the intake port in the head and intake plenum. i was burning about 1qt of oil a month, thought it was my rings but compression test show that everything was fine. i suspected of the valve stem seals so i replaced them, cleaned the sludge with some brake cleaner. nomore knocking under hard acceleration and its been 8 mos. hasn't burned a drop of oil:confused:

Ummm...... you replaced the valve stem seals... that's where the oil was leaking into the combustion chamber being burned off. New seals = no leaks = no oil consumption.

I REALLY have to do my valve stem seals and valve cover gaskets. My car goes through oil more than my wife's Saturn.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ummm...... you replaced the valve stem seals... that's where the oil was leaking into the combustion chamber being burned off. New seals = no leaks = no oil consumption.

I REALLY have to do my valve stem seals and valve cover gaskets. My car goes through oil more than my wife's Saturn.
make sense...if you decide to do the stem seals, change your intake manifold gasket and while you have the intake out clean all that gunk inside the runners. you wont regret it!:thumbsup:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
How expensive it is to have the valve stem seals replaced? I'm going through 1 qt of oil every 670-700 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts