1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
RIP. I still remember me and a buddy partying New Years Eve 1981 or 1982 and they played the whole first album on the radio at midnight. Good times!

Al

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
**** this year so hard.😢 Ed’s one of the primary reasons I picked up a guitar, probably from the first time I heard “You really got me” in a Nissan 300zx commercial in the 90s, first guitar I ever had(Squier strat) I cloned into a frankenstrat, that started my foray into guitar modding/tinkering/luthiery, as well as amplification and electronics (all the soldering I do on cars I honed from amp and pedal and guitar electronics mods), even the first forum I ever joined and actively participated in was EddieVanHalen.com. Eddie was a DIYer, through and though, especially in the early days through the Roth era, he didn’t have the best or latest equipment, and he didn’t want it, he threw together guitars from a mixes and match of parts that nobody ever combined and created a sound from his rig that to this day guitar players chase after, whether they know it or not. I never really put much thought or stock into personal heroes, but looking back and feeling the gut punch of this news today really makes me realize he definitely was that for me. RIP

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,840 Posts
Same here in the 11th grade in 78 was on our way to the beach in a 70s tricked out van. Had the debut album on the 8-track . Friends of our days slipping away.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,352 Posts
Running With The Devil, couldn't play that enough when it first came out.
See my post in the "What are you listening to right now" thread.

RIP Eddie.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
RIP Eddie

·
Registered
384 Posts
RIP, Eddie. This year has not let up. He was one of the true Rockers that still existed. It wasn't a bucket list item to see him play, but now that he's gone, it sucks knowing that opportunity is gone.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, a lot of personal connections and great stories about our collective experience with Van Halen.

Ok, so here's my story. I first discovered Van Halen in 1984 when their album 1984 was released. I was 13 at the time and was blown away by the amazing and unique sound of the group. I was an instant fan. I remained a fan and bought every subsequent album through Balance in 1995. I vividly remember playing volleyball with the guys in my platoon while we were stationed at Guantanamo Bay in 1995 while Balance blasted on the old school ghetto blaster. After Sammy left the group they were never the same.

Reading through their story post Hagar I really should check out A Different Kind of Truth.

So, I have to pose the consummate Van Halen question: Are you guys bigger fans of David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Hagar.

Reactions: Boston-Bull

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
In Van Halen? Roth. Sammy was a vastly better singer, but Roth’s deeper voice and almost crooner like melodies darkened the tone and gave a lot more room for Eddie to make cool fills, places Sammy or other more rangeful singers would just typically carry a longer note. Plus Sammy’s range brightened up the sound of the whole band, including Eddies guitar, I think all through the Roth era he typically tuned Eb standard or possibly D, Van Hagar era is E standard, and it sounds much more cheery and poppy as a result. In fact that’s what I find so unique to Roth era Van Halen, almost all of their songs have broad commercial and even pop like qualities, yet it has a legitimate heavy metal tone to it. Only other mainstream band that pulled that fusion off so seamlessly was Queen.

As a person, for their individual singing abilities, and their other work however? Hagar hands down.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,352 Posts
I'm with Matt and Dan, I never bought a Van Hager album.

Joe

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
2 Posts
RIP Eddie loved seeing you play at Monsters Of Rock in 1988 @ Candlestick Park! Van Hager ruled on the 5150 album after Roth. Sammy was such an awesome songwriter and guitarist!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Roth.

I like Hagar, and while he has many accomplishments in his solo career, the tone of voice is not pleasing to my ear. I used to say it sounded like a squeaky hinge.

Al

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
RIP Eddie.

I was just leaving the house to go out on my own when MTV started up. Loved the Van Halen videos. I preferred Roth.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
55 Posts
In Van Halen? Roth. Sammy was a vastly better singer, but Roth’s deeper voice and almost crooner like melodies darkened the tone and gave a lot more room for Eddie to make cool fills, places Sammy or other more rangeful singers would just typically carry a longer note. Plus Sammy’s range brightened up the sound of the whole band, including Eddies guitar, I think all through the Roth era he typically tuned Eb standard or possibly D, Van Hagar era is E standard, and it sounds much more cheery and poppy as a result. In fact that’s what I find so unique to Roth era Van Halen, almost all of their songs have broad commercial and even pop like qualities, yet it has a legitimate heavy metal tone to it. Only other mainstream band that pulled that fusion off so seamlessly was Queen.

As a person, for their individual singing abilities, and their other work however? Hagar hands down.
Ya, Roth for Van Halen 100%. Sammy is the better singer but not the better songwriter for Van Halen style. I see the Van Hagar stuff like that was Sammy's best backing band in terms of talent ("Love Or Money" is one of my favorite Sammy solo songs from before Van Hagar). I wish they'd done more songs like "Get Up" but they leaned into the ballads too much, which was Sammy's fault. Also, it's like Eddie forgot how to play guitar when Sammy showed up. Eddie is Top 3 for riffs with Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page but I don't remember too many great riffs from the Hagar era. Oddly, Alex's playing seemed to improve in those years. Roth, on the other hand, is a nut job, you can see how looney he got with the solo stuff and even with the David Lee Roth Band with Vai, his choices for some cover songs would have driven me up a wall. You're not a comedian, Roth!

I thank Eddie's kid for convincing them to record "A Different Kind Of Truth" and reviving some of their great old songs that never made it to an original album (though some of the rerecorded lyrics were inferior to the originals). "She's The Woman" is one of my all-time favorite Van Halen songs (How was that not on an album already?!?), though I prefer the early demo version. I have the "Firestarter" bootleg collection of their demos, that is a joy to listen to, highly recommended. I saw that 2012 tour and it was fantastic, I finally got to see them live! I might have tried when I was young (high school) but I remember my friends seeing them live and complaining that everyone was drunk and the songs sounded like garbage so I felt like I had avoided disappointment and feeling like I'd wasted money by not seeing those tours (it's also why I never bothered to see Guns N' Roses live back when Axl was constantly pissing off fans, too expensive to deal with that). Now, of course, I wish I'd gone to one of them though this last tour at least they were sober. Saw Van Hagar live a couple times but it was not as good.

Now is the time for Alex and Wolfgang to go through all those demos and unreleased old songs, clean them up and remaster them, and release them as a boxed set. Please!! There's like 3 albums worth of great stuff at least!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts