TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
Yeah I totally agree about Roth’s personality, his ego is just off the charts to this day. I saw him on Joe Rogan’s podcast last year and I couldn’t even get through it as background noise. I remember he posted a video to his social media where he crashed a party of 20 somethings in a Las Vegas hotel because he heard one Van Halen song playing, and they all thought he was complaining about the noise, even after proclaiming “I’m David Lee Roth!” The level of cringe was mortifying! That personality undoubtedly worked wonders promoting the band in the early days and of course for his stage presence as a frontman, but that really must have gone to his head. I listened to a few of his solo albums since I do respect Steve Vai, but other than that the music sounds like a drug fueled mess. Diver Down is the weakest album from the Roth Van Halen era and his solo career was basically a continuation of it.

Even though Van Hagar is used as a derogatory term for that version band, I kind of wish they would have changed their name to that as a new supergroup, it actually works well. Rock ballads were really popular during the late 80s and they certainly were better than most of the various glam “metal” efforts. The change in Eddie’s creativity playing I think was inevitable, even if Roth stayed, Jump, I’ll Wait and 1984 showcased Ed’s desire to incorporate more instruments he could play in the mix, and if you watch old interviews by this period he seemed kind of over being a guitar god(even annoyed by the various imitators). I actually wonder how many riffs he actually came up with after 1978, the first album, Van Halen II, a bulk of different kind of truth and various songs on other albums were recycled directly from pre fame demos, it stands to reason a whole lot else on other albums was unrecorded stuff he/they came up with at their youngest/hungriest as well. With Sammy in the mix they couldn’t rely on that backlog catered to Roth anymore, so it went from a bulk of songs pre or partially written in their early 20s to songs written in their 30s, which is what makes it such a drastic shift between singers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The change in Eddie’s creativity playing I think was inevitable, even if Roth stayed, Jump, I’ll Wait and 1984 showcased Ed’s desire to incorporate more instruments he could play in the mix, and if you watch old interviews by this period he seemed kind of over being a guitar god(even annoyed by the various imitators). I actually wonder how many riffs he actually came up with after 1978, the first album, Van Halen II, a bulk of different kind of truth and various songs on other albums were recycled directly from pre fame demos, it stands to reason a whole lot else on other albums was unrecorded stuff he/they came up with at their youngest/hungriest as well. With Sammy in the mix they couldn’t rely on that backlog catered to Roth anymore, so it went from a bulk of songs pre or partially written in their early 20s to songs written in their 30s, which is what makes it such a drastic shift between singers.
I see what you're saying but you have to remember that Eddie didn't write songs like most people did. Sammy actually talked about it, kind of complained about it because it was so weird. Eddie wrote riffs. That's it. Hundreds of them, recorded them, saved them like jigsaw puzzle pieces. When it was time to write a new song, he would grab some riffs he liked, string them together, song's finished (minus the lyrics and recording other instruments). Apparently he had a whole room full of reel-to-reel tapes of these riffs. He probably had enough ideas in there for 50 albums. So, ya "A Different Kind Of Truth" sounds like they're ripping themselves off but that's how he operated. If the song didn't work he'd try those riffs out in other songs, combined with other riffs and guitar solo ideas. Listen to "Firestarter", all those demos and alternate songs, you'll hear riffs from many popular Van Halen songs. All of them are better than "Jump" and "I'll Wait" for sure.

Just Google the "Get The Show On The Road" demo, that is one of the best songs they ever recorded, not on an album and I can't figure out why.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts