TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several references to this the last day or so and finally read the whole story..

The guy behind the greatest obituary, ever!

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/15/reporters-notebook-flathead-we-hardly-knew-ye/

Blanchard’s friends called him “Flathead” because of his love for and devotion to Depression-era Fords. Blanchard spent countless hours searching for old Ford dealerships to look for parts.

“One time, in Los Angeles, he went to the library and looked up Ford dealerships that had gone out of business,” Remy said. “He went to the address of one of the dealerships. It was a Chinese laundry. He went in and the owner said ‘Oh, yes, the Parts Department is upstairs. You want that stuff, you can clean it out. We could use the room.’”

Blanchard’s passion for Ford parts became a succession of used-parts businesses, including some the uninitiated might call “junkyards.” He made his living buying and selling parts.

He was once offered $400,000 for his collection of old parts, some of them still new in the box, Remy said, but he turned it down. Blanchard said at the time that he’d rather see them rust away than sell them to some yuppie car club.

The stories Blanchard’s family and friends told certainly didn’t paint him as a boy scout. According to his friends, he was astonishingly intelligent and well read, with encyclopedic knowledge of Fords, guns, and explosives, but equally deep knowledge of European history and of prosaic topics like landscaping.

On the other hand, he had real difficulties with authority, and didn’t give in to social pressures — like hygiene.

“You could have drilled for oil in the leg of his jeans,” remembered one friend who wished to remain anonymous.
There''s more,,, and a hint of much more than that

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sounds very eccentric :) Not in a bad way, IMO. Lets all go have a beer on that note!

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
I like it!

This is def the best obit I've ever seen; I hope to do as well.

...guy kinda sounds like me; scary!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I like it!

This is def the best obit I've ever seen; I hope to do as well.

...guy kinda sounds like me; scary!

blah! Ford, firearms, and explosives. Sounds like 1 in 3 white males in the Southeastern United States. One of my friends has a Silverado, the other a Ram. Guess who the NRA member is with two paid in full and made in Detroit Fords? :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts