TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, there's a ton of threads out there about what convertor to get if you're setting up for a 1/4 car... but I couldn't find what I wanted to know for a road race/twisties car. IF I stay with the auto, what kinda convertor should I run? I am planning on a big bore with PI heads and blower cams... with some sort of roots blower that hasnt been decided yet. Any input /explanations would be appreciated... I'm 90% newb at this stuff, especially cause it's outside of the norm. Hoping Big Scott will chime in here and tell me what he's running in his Coug.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Subscribing...:D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Road racing doesn't change converter things much. You need a lockup strong enough to handle your applications such as a properly modified PI single or the billet units I build. There are a few suppliers building the billet units I build as well. I'm in the process of getting a 8 inch unit ready for production however it may be a while on that. Last time I had it ready and built one I got laid off and everything went back to square one.
Alan

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what would you reccomend for stall?

-Joel

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh, okay did you mean to repeat?... I guess I need to talk to Ryan and have him explain this to me. :D

-Joel

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I double posted the pc was giving me problems at the time. I didn't realize that happened, sorry.
Alan Stall would be dependant upon your engine, with a lockup you don't need it tight like most road race applications would want it. The tune will be the critical point.
Alan

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you are roadracing make sure the tune keeps the converter locked on closed throttle and never allows a 4th gear shift. I would probably be using the gear shifter manually myself to keep it from upshifting at part throttle all the time. You put a blower on the 4.6 and you will be moved into a class with mostly true race cars.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it isnt more of a competition thing, I just go take my car out on long drives in the country. Long spirited back roads drives. :D I do plan to get into competitions though. The more I think about it, I will need to go manual. Especially if I should be manual shifting, why not just do the whole thing. I want more than 3 gears, to be decently nice to the engine... and dont wanna shear of the stub shaft every year.

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
When I was doing a SOLO II event at Salina last summer, I just put the car in 2nd gear manually, and left it there. The course was fast enough that I knew I'd never need 1st once I was moving, and by locking out 3rd and overdrive I was able to keep the RPM's up for acceleration. It also gave me better deceleration than I would have gotten if the car had shifted into 3rd. Of course, this was on an old runway with a course marked out in cones, not a full blown Road Course (I'd LOVE to spend a day doing that!)

You really should make the drive to Salina with us this summer Joel. Its a lot of fun, and the look on the other folks when we pull on the course in our 3600 lb cars is worth the drive. :D

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was actually going to go last year, but I blew a bushing before hand, and decided not to romp on her when she's got that problem. I do plan on going this year, I was really pissed I didn't get to go last year. That is, if the car can recover enough. :D I am looking to pick up a mark8 this year, maybe I'll bring it instead.

-Joel

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you do plan on road racing then I would plan on going to a manual after you have some time in the car. The auto lets you learn how to drive but you are almost never in the right gear and lets not even talk about the heat. 20 minutes of racing every hour and by the end of the day even with a cooler my trans gauge was pinned above 220F. I acourse damaged my trans (convertor I think) and plan on putting a new convertor this winter and manual later when I get the money.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on going t-56 when the time comes.

-Joel

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
T-bird_fan said:
If you do plan on road racing then I would plan on going to a manual after you have some time in the car. The auto lets you learn how to drive but you are almost never in the right gear and lets not even talk about the heat. 20 minutes of racing every hour and by the end of the day even with a cooler my trans gauge was pinned above 220F. I acourse damaged my trans (convertor I think) and plan on putting a new convertor this winter and manual later when I get the money.

This was the second part of my thinking for locking the converter on decel (foot off the throttle) Other reason was for engine braking.

·
Registered
479 Posts
GODSPEED said:
I plan on going t-56 when the time comes.

-Joel
I want to go with a TKO since I don't think I will be needing the 6th gear and I didn't want to deal with making it fit and the added weight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts