TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering overall which one is better in the corners, Mustang or t-bird? Wouldn't the t-bird make sense for it has IRS, .31 drag coeffeciency and what not?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Depended on how much money I was going to drop into it. If I was going to still drive the car on a somewhat regular basis, then I'd take a T-Bird. But if I was going to build it up for strictly road racing, I'd build up the Mustang for the reasons stated above (parts availability, lighter, etc) and swap in an IRS.. or atleast attempt it :)

-Andy "Melon"

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Depending on budget, prolly a Fox mustang and just keep the live axle. You can build those cars to handle a whole lot better than these guys are giving them credit for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A couple of years ago I drove a new 2001 Cobra Mustang as a test drive at a local Ford dealer. It is located in an area that has lots of straight and curved roads. Basically, the car was very sloppy around turns 30 mph. above their posted speed limit. I believe my T-Bird could take those turns at least 45 mph above the limit,yes my car is setup for that, point being, you would expect a Cobra to perform somewhat better than a Mack truck.............

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fox stang, gutted stripped and cut up all to hell, for sure. The only problem then is regaining the weight distribution. Suppose a new alum. block 4.6, should weigh considerably less then a 5.0.

Of course you'd need to do some serious pimping in the suspension department, but with mustang popularity the way it is, your only trouble should be how deep your pockets go.

Nothing against the mn12 chassis, but why gimp yourself from the starting line with a heavier and longer platform? If it's a race only car, then no sense in beginning with a disadvantage.

Now if you want to use a 'bird just to be different, or for your love of the car, then I say :thumbsup: start gutting her now :cool:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'd suggest a Fox Mustang over an MN-12 cars as well, having experienced both on the track. I used to race a prepped 87 5.0 Mustang in amateur racing at my local circuit, Mosport here in Ontario. My T-Bird SC has a few bolt-ons for hp, Eibachs, Konis, early SC rear stab. bar, Cobra brakes, and for the track, 17x9 03 Cobra wheels with 275-40-17 Hoosier DOT race radials. It is easily 10 seconds a lap slower at Mosport, which is a 2.5 mile circuit. Even getting 500 lbs. out of it wouldn't make enough of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very entertaining car to drive on the track, especially the big circuits like Watkins Glen and Mosport where the speeds are higher through the corners ... but it's no Mustang !! Overall, as a fun, comfortable street car, it beats the Mustang hands down.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Well I'd say buy a vette and keep it stock, it'll outhandle the birds and stangs and with all the money you'd put into the track ready bird or stang, it'll end up costing as much as a c5 and the vette will still handle better.

But if I had to choose, I'd pit a fox body also. They just have so many available parts. All around coil overs and camber/caster plates and such.

-Thomas

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Thomas said:
Well I'd say buy a vette and keep it stock, it'll outhandle the birds and stangs and with all the money you'd put into the track ready bird or stang, it'll end up costing as much as a c5 and the vette will still handle better.

But if I had to choose, I'd pit a fox body also. They just have so many available parts. All around coil overs and camber/caster plates and such.

-Thomas
I really disagree. If you bought a nice SC or a nice Mustang, put enough money into it to equal the cost of a new C5, I high doubt the Corvette would outrun, and especially out handle the project car. The numbers simply don't make sense.

·
8,978 Posts
i'm just kinda basing this statement off of that one article in that one magazine (real specific I know) of the s2000 and other imports that put 70,000+ dollars into their track cars and the corvette still outhandled them. The bird is way heavier than those imports and will cost more to get it there.
-Thomas

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Thomas said:
i'm just kinda basing this statement off of that one article in that one magazine (real specific I know) of the s2000 and other imports that put 70,000+ dollars into their track cars and the corvette still outhandled them. The bird is way heavier than those imports and will cost more to get it there.
-Thomas
And which corvette is this based off of? The C5 or the C5 ZO6? Two different animals. I think you could take a stang and cage it with 500hp for a total of less than 15-20K. Take the remaining 15-30K and throw that in suspension and I don't see how a stock Corvette could take it, period.

·
8,978 Posts
it was probably a zo6 featured in that article.
-Thomas

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
More than likely but for the same costs you can get a lighter car and get better suspension components all for the same price if not a little less. Thats why I think a mustang or even a bird is cheaper open track car than a corvette or ZO6

·
8,978 Posts
AverageJoe said:
More than likely but for the same costs you can get a lighter car and get better suspension components all for the same price if not a little less. Thats why I think a mustang or even a bird is cheaper open track car than a corvette or ZO6
The why aren't there birds or mustangs in LeMans? I still have to believe the ZO6 will outhandle them both.

-Thomas

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
Does Ford even run at Le Mans anymore?
No, but it would be nice to see the new GT become a Le Mans entry.

Thomas, ever watched GT car racing? I see Mustangs whoop on Corvettes a lot in those circuits...

Not counting this Thomas. Lets say you put $70,000 into a 400hp ZO6.

I put $15,000 into a nice GT or Cobra to buy. Toss in a $10,000 motor and I can get more than 400hp. Gut the interior for free, spend another $5-10,000 on the suspension and i've spent a max of $45,000 so far. And at this point I've got a car that is at least a match for a stock ZO6. Lets toss that extra $25,000 into weight savings or even more power or suspension and that ZO6 will stay in the rearview. I still dont know what kinda crack you're smokin to say that you can't build a mustang to outhandle a ZO6. Seriously, the ZO6 is NOT the ultimate handling machine...:leftright

1 - 20 of 34 Posts