TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at attending this years Bandit Run detour in Georgia. It's a weekend car show at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta. If it works out I'll be driving a 79 Pontiac Trans Am from the Raleigh, NC area. Google shows it to be ~5 hours. I've done plenty of road trips, but all have been with my daily drivers.

Any advice on things to check out on this old of a car? She runs great, I've had her out a coupe times this year, not for a 5 hour stretch though.

I'm also concerned about her sitting in a hotel parking lot overnight. There should be plenty of other firebirds around being this is the Bandit Run, but this one is canary yellow and stands out like a sore thumb.

Can anyone share any experiences from car shows, road trips, etc?

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,308 Posts
Try to stay in a well lit area with the rest of the Firebirds. Take up 2 spots if you can! :giggle:

Is this your car? Know anything of it's mechanical history? I'd give it a good once over, check all the fluids. hoses, suspension, tires. Don't need any problems 5 hours from home!

Joe

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
What are you worried about? Petty theft, getting stranded somewhere OR something taking the car itself?
1) For towing, consider calling AAA and getting the roadside service level that allows for 100mi tows OR add this as an option to your insurance policy (most have it as an option you can temporarily add/remove). You can do back to back tows if necessary and get 200 mi in 2 days which should hopefully get you someplace where you can get the car repaired without too much drama.

2) A mechanics toolset of hand tools and a real jack (vs a scissor) are always nice to carry. Also, if your charging system is sketchy, one of those LION jump starter packs ($50-70).

3) I don't know much of firebirds so I don't know how easy it is to B&E through the t-tops/car. I DO know it's harder to steal a car if you remove the distributor cap and/or steering wheel when you go inside for the night. A Club also makes it tougher and more fun to break into someone ELSEs car (ESP the kind that clamp to the accelerator pedal).
As far as taking too spots is concerned (I'm sure jokingly), I think that wildabeests on the outside of the herd get eaten first. In your shoes, I'd always shove my car right in the middle (hopefully next to a nicer car so THAT one gets fucked with first.

·
Super Moderator
12,873 Posts
I'd be worried about more than petty theft. There were five cars stolen out of parking lots at hotels here in Charlotte during the Hot Rod Power Tour last year on June 19, 2019.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Watch Roadkill. Check radiator hoses, fuel lines, trans cooler lines, etc. Carry a couple gallons of water in the event the radiator goes and you need to get a few miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
Being a 70s GM product, parts availability shouldn’t be a problem, and with an HEI and mechanical fuel pump, they are actually pretty reliable. I would replace all the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses before heading out. Also if the car isn’t regularly driven, go through the carb and make sure it is running properly and not leaking fuel, since that can not only leave you stranded, but cause a fire. If the car has headers, I would replace the starter with a high torque mini starter since the heat from headers can cook a stock starter on a long drive like that. Of course all the basic things like making sure the tires, brakes, and suspension are in good shape. If you have 3.xx gears without overdrive, I would keep the speed down to keep the revs down, but if it has the stock 2.73s, you can cruise at 75 all day without issues. Finally I would suggest using the car a lot more for a few weeks before heading out. If something is going to break, better that it break before you head out than in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,817 Posts
Bring various extras/backup parts, hoses, V belts clamps, zipties(roadkill nod) etc. anything that might fail that will otherwise require a ride to the parts store. There’s really not all that much to keeping a car like that on the road vs anything more modern if it’s already in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
12,873 Posts
Research and find a good GPS tracking device to put on the car. Arrange with your buddies and those on tour with you to watch the cars in the parking lots at night. Invest in a good front and rear view dash cam with parking mode recording and cloud video storage.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
An AAA membership covers all your cars (will save you a little $ on hotels also). Install a well hidden kill switch inside the car that cuts either ignition or fuel. A club is a good theft device, and even a better deterrent.

Get it out on the hwy, take US1 down to Sanford & back (or farther). 40 miles each way at 75-80 MPH will let you know how it behaves on the hwy with some heat in it.

Good luck, and have fun Scott!

Al

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Research and find a good GPS tracking device to put on the car. Arrange with your buddies and those on tour with you to watch the cars in the parking lots at night. Invest in a good front and rear view dash cam with parking mode recording and cloud video storage.
For the GPS device - Amazon.com: SYLOTS GPS Tracker for Vehicles, Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Car Tracking Relay GPS Tracker Device GSM Locator Remote Control, Waterproof GPS Tracker for Car Truck Taxi: Sports & Outdoors looks interesting to me, and is a favorite of the "Buy here, pay here!" car lots.

For the camera, one of my friends swears by a unit he has; I'll try to get a link to it sometime. It's close to $300 all told, but well worth it from the quality of the video.

RwP

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's my inheritance, garaged at my parents ~40 min away. I don't get out there enough, they usually come visit us.
Not too worried about being stranded, I'll have tools with me and do have AAA with 100 miles towing, plus Hagerty insures the car, there's some towing assistance through them.
The car is in really good shape, not a trailer queen, but if there were some door nicks I'd be pissed. Damage can be fixed, I am somewhat concerned about her disappearing. We normally don't leave her sit anywhere, really just "Sunday" drives.
There is a kill switch, I have a handicapped parking pass, that would keep her closer to the entrance and in a larger space. I'm going to look at the GPS trackers some more. Anyone have experience with prepaid cell plans? I can add a line to my plan for ~$10/mo.
Mom txt'd me today there's a coolant leak, so I'm trying to head over there this weekend to check that out and look the car over. I'm planning on an oil change & potentially tranny, coolant & brake fluids changed.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's my inheritance, garaged at my parents ~40 min away. I don't get out there enough, they usually come visit us.
Not too worried about being stranded, I'll have tools with me and do have AAA with 100 miles towing, plus Hagerty insures the car, there's some towing assistance through them.
The car is in really good shape, not a trailer queen, but if there were some door nicks I'd be pissed. Damage can be fixed, I am somewhat concerned about her disappearing. We normally don't leave her sit anywhere, really just "Sunday" drives.
There is a kill switch, I have a handicapped parking pass, that would keep her closer to the entrance and in a larger space. I'm going to look at the GPS trackers some more. Anyone have experience with prepaid cell plans? I can add a line to my plan for ~$10/mo.
Mom txt'd me today there's a coolant leak, so I'm trying to head over there this weekend to check that out and look the car over. I'm planning on an oil change & potentially tranny, coolant & brake fluids changed.
This is the module that we used on our UTVs when my team towed out units down from Idaho to Mexico.
My teammate brett mounted these hidden in the vehicle.
Battery lasted 2 weeks. Has a 4G modem inside and can revert back to 2G if necessary. I believe the service is from Tmobile. Service is $25/mo
They worked great... even in remote areas (there's a lot of desolation between Boise and San Diego).

If you go cheaper, the question is what kind of software you will get and what SIM options youhave.

For the most basic devices which use SMS messages, I've had good success with TING (Tmobile MVNO) for a 2G SIM. Decent service and EASY to cancel (not all of them are that easy).
I'm not sure that this is still available so here's the 4G card.

Other one to consider is MINT mobile. Service is good for a TMobile MVNO and the trial setup would only cost you 99c for 100MB data, 100 SMS, and 100 minutes of talk

Even if your add a line is $10/mo, beware of line activation fees and/or commitments. Can you only get 1 mo of service?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm with Tmobile and have had good service from their stores. When I added my daughter's line they waived the activation fees, etc. Good point about being able to cancel after a month though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts