TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had trouble with their customer service? I just ordered $500 worth of parts and I think one of the motor mounts I ordered is is wrong. I just wanted to check to be sure and you cannot call anyone anymore, just set up a return. It's actually a pain in the ass. I have to send it back, wait for verification and then wait for them to send the new part. 4 to 8 days total. Totally screws my timetable. By the way, the AC/Delco steering rack I ordered looks pretty cheap too.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
I went through the same thing a couple of months ago..

I ordered some old Motorcraft "Wholesale Closeout" shocks, and received what looked like Monroe shocks..

Anyways, I explained to them what they sent me was not actually Motorcraft shocks..

Then the guy on the phone says, "How do you know, their not Motorcraft shocks"??

At that point I said I wanted to return the shocks, and he said he wasn't responsible for returns..

So I had to deal with their stupid returns page, wait about a month for a refund, and eat all the shipping costs.. :mad:

Moral of the story:

Stay away from old Motorcraft "Wholesale Closeout" products on RockAuto..
Because what you receive may not actually be a Motorcraft part..

I guess it's just too expensive to have a human on a phone dealing with returns anymore??
:rolleyes:

Rayo..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah one motor mount had clearly been repackaged (scratches and one stud had clearly been ground down). I think I'm going to just send it all back. Though it's not Rockauto's fault the steering rack has a loose tie rod and the boots feel like the Moogs that rot in a year and clearly printed on it "Re-manufactured in Mexico". Nothing like bailing out a car company that ships jobs out of the country.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Stay away from Rockauto period...they will put anything in a box and send it to you, even if it's not the right brand. I refuse to use them anymore, because half of what the send you is an older revision of a part, or the wrong part altogether. Moog hates RockAuto, I got two different arms and Rockauto tried to tell me that moog didn't make the other LCA anymore, called Moog and they said false, so now I go through O'Reillys directly, as they are a certified Moog dealer and can get the legit moog parts with a lifetime warranty.

Summary: **** RockAuto. Period.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had "" OK "" dealings with them but I don't like not having a human to verify what I am getting is the correct part that they show. My last purchase was NGK plug wires and they were junk looked like they were someone else's returns .. So I e mailed them got a call back and then they shipped another set didn't even want the old ones back ..
I'm with ya..
Only use them when all other sources have been exhausted..

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Nearly all my parts come from RockAuto unless I am stranded along side the road. I have only had to return one thing, and that was my fault for not seeing what I ordered contained everything I needed for both sides, so I ordered double. Seemed pretty easy to return it, I don't get such cheap shipping like they do, but it still was way more cheaper even with the return.

Fedex has my latest items in a truck local to deliver, 30 dollar cheaper brake pads that are 10x better than what I can get locally (40 bucks, -2 for coupon, plus 8 dollars shipping, 45 bucks...versus 80+ locally, which would also be + 10% tax), a full set of AC o-rings (1/3 the price of locally available ones).

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
They sent me the wrong clutch master during my 5 speed swap, they refunded me and I still have the part they sent(they never asked for me to send it back), I sent pics of the wrong part and the right part, and I dealt with their customer service completely through email if that makes a difference, so my dealings have been positive. There are some things I probably won't buy through them, like the Moog control arms, because the issue Black Cat mentioned seems to be par for the course with them with that particular part and that brand.

Honestly though, rockauto at it's worst still beats parts stores as far as "customer service" is concerned. Unless I'm in a real pinch I never buy anything but fluids and filters at one, every time I need something where I deal with a counterperson it's like training a ******* puppy to **** outside trying to find something specific, even if I wrote down the part and inventory number earlier for them to look up on the computer they always take 20 minutes Hmm and uhhing at.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Honestly though, rockauto at it's worst still beats parts stores as far as "customer service" is concerned. Unless I'm in a real pinch I never buy anything but fluids and filters at one, every time I need something where I deal with a counterperson it's like training a ******* puppy to **** outside trying to find something specific, even if I wrote down the part and inventory number earlier for them to look up on the computer they always take 20 minutes Hmm and uhhing at.
I agree. I've always had great service and prices for most of the "good stuff". Its just that when I had a problem this time there was no phone number, chat or email that I could ask a simple question about shipping.

They someone did call me today and apologized but he basically read me the same script you get when you fill out the return forms. Good lesson, check the parts in the boxes when they arrive. I would have been pissed if I had dropped my k-member and found this out.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I opened up the box and first thought was "they sent me used brake pads" because the box smelled like an emergency stop had been done, but realized the pads are thermally and scorched conditioned already, so they should smell used already.

Sent in a giant box, first time I have seen them reuse a manufacturers box (it had the packing tape that was cut to open it still on it, then covered with RockAuto tape).

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About a year ago I bought a loaded right front caliper for about $20. Was a great deal but when I got it but something just didn't look right. Then I saw that the caliper bleeder was tapped on the bottom but the caliper bracket was stamped rh. In other words I had a left hand caliper on a right hand bracket. So I contacted RA and they sent me another one and guess what, same thing! So I sent them an email with pictures and told them I didn't want my money back but they had a potentially dangerous set up here. Well they had 9 left and when I last looked they still had 1 or two left. I guess the just didn't care. I kind of expect problems with close out stuff not full priced new though.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Price wise I have done well. I got all 4 sensatrack shocks for my Tbird for under 100$ shipped; was happy about that and still am. Have bought a lot of brake parts for my cars ,and friends as well...never had an issue.

I did have a sway bar link boxed wrong sent to me. I went through the online refund process and they sent me another one, also boxed wrong. On third try I got the right one was in the box.

They have a lot of hard to find parts on clearance. I bought some rack bushing mounts with the sleeves for a few dollars, TWR sway bar link and Ball joints for like 5$ each. They are good to check out once and a while.

IMO they are pretty reliable. With anyone as big as them they are going to have issues sometimes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I guess i'm just pissed because this is the first time I did not allow enough time for error when I bought these parts.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Only issue I've had it bad wiper motor. Went through return process and got free return shipping. Should have check local first though cause with shipping they were the same price.

That is how I normally do RA if its close to the same price (with shipping) local I go local.

By in large I'm please with RA.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have had a couple problems down through the years. First, I ordered a blower resistor for a 07 Kia spectra that did not fit. I didn't bother trying to return it. Once I mistakenly ordered the wrong motor mount from not reading the description carefully, return was easy. More recently, I had ordered a fel pro severe duty head gasket set. Opened up and saw the plastic intake gaskets and knew it was the regular set. I was very pissed, but it was fixed in under 5 days. The last time, and this was about a month ago, I was getting head bolts and wound up getting some other felpro part with a very close part number. Took about 3 days to get that sorted out.

So yes they make mistakes in the warehouses. The customer service people don't really care about the problems they just direct you the returns button, but what else can they really do for us? My final irritation is that you might get a magnet for a $10 order, but you may have a $600 order and get nothing, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
I have had a couple problems down through the years. First, I ordered a blower resistor for a 07 Kia spectra that did not fit. I didn't bother trying to return it. Once I mistakenly ordered the wrong motor mount from not reading the description carefully, return was easy. More recently, I had ordered a fel pro severe duty head gasket set. Opened up and saw the plastic intake gaskets and knew it was the regular set. I was very pissed, but it was fixed in under 5 days. The last time, and this was about a month ago, I was getting head bolts and wound up getting some other felpro part with a very close part number. Took about 3 days to get that sorted out.

So yes they make mistakes in the warehouses. The customer service people don't really care about the problems they just direct you the returns button, but what else can they really do for us? My final irritation is that you might get a magnet for a $10 order, but you may have a $600 order and get nothing, lol.
I got a magnet exactly once, and ironically it came with the wrong part I mentioned, never got one before or since. Bastards!:tongue:

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I order from them all the time. The only return I can think of was due to the manufacturer placing the wrong part number on the box (not RockAuto's fault). I called them, and they immediately sent out the right part and sent me a return label for the wrong one. I can't complain about that.

I'd say that I receive a magnet in about 40% of the packages I receive. The majority of my parts come from RockAuto and Amazon (I have a Prime membership), but I still order quite a bit from Summit, LMR, CPP, AM, and the like. A look at my roll-around ...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I usually don't have too many problems with them and when I did it was usually a catalog problem on their end or a manufacturer not including what they stated. The return process has never been difficult and the prices are low. I've had about a 5% return rate with them which has irritated me on time sensitive projects. I have also had similar issues with Amazon where part of their sorting/fulfillment conveyor fell into a shipping box and was sent instead of brake pads which tied up a project.

Long and short sometimes it's worth the extra $$ local if it is time sensitive or if there is any doubt over which version/revision of an item you will be receiving.

Added about the magnets: Also I receive a magnet 110% of the time. Which means that I have actually received more than one in a few boxes per order and they come and go. I don't collect them anymore. I also usually try to find the premium parts now when I order and quickly internet search for the lowest bidder via part number which has really minimized my grief with them.

Added to the OP
By the way, the AC/Delco steering rack I ordered looks pretty cheap too.
Now owning a GM vehicle and working in the industry I'm a lot more savvy of this but AC Delco makes 3 grades of part, and alternates the terminology on it frequently, when buying parts from them I used to stick to AC Delco OEM or AC Delco Professional avoid the advantage line if at all possible and realize that anything AC Delco "professional" is usually a higher quality 3rd party that would be acceptable to the oem ex. moog, raybestos, gates, etc. on the opposite end of that the "advantage" or as the industry calls is the "disadvantage" line is usually the cheapest stuff that legally resembles the item it replaces.... also referred to as "factory-like fit" meaning it doesn't fit correctly the first time.

Steering racks in MN12's are a hot topic issue in and of themselves as I'm convinced the 90% of the remans are junk after busting my knuckles installing them and watching them fail between the 5 minute mark and the 1 year mark. On my personal MN12 if I developed a rack issue I'd find a bird in the junkyard with a non-leaking factory one and install new inner and outer tie rods. But, I'm a little bitter of how many I've installed in the past.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had to send back two times Motorcraft upper control arms with broken, cracked ball joint boots and now finally after getting some with good boots, yesterday when I took my originals out the Rockauto ones are thinner and don't say TRW on them.These probably aren't even Motorcrafts.Just don't know any more what you're going to get not just from Rockauto.

·
Super Moderator
16,824 Posts
I usually don't have too many problems with them and when I did it was usually a catalog problem on their end or a manufacturer not including what they stated. The return process has never been difficult and the prices are low. I've had about a 5% return rate with them which has irritated me on time sensitive projects. I have also had similar issues with Amazon where part of their sorting/fulfillment conveyor fell into a shipping box and was sent instead of brake pads which tied up a project.

Long and short sometimes it's worth the extra $$ local if it is time sensitive or if there is any doubt over which version/revision of an item you will be receiving.

Added about the magnets: Also I receive a magnet 110% of the time. Which means that I have actually received more than one in a few boxes per order and they come and go. I don't collect them anymore. I also usually try to find the premium parts now when I order and quickly internet search for the lowest bidder via part number which has really minimized my grief with them.

Added to the OP

Now owning a GM vehicle and working in the industry I'm a lot more savvy of this but AC Delco makes 3 grades of part, and alternates the terminology on it frequently, when buying parts from them I used to stick to AC Delco OEM or AC Delco Professional avoid the advantage line if at all possible and realize that anything AC Delco "professional" is usually a higher quality 3rd party that would be acceptable to the oem ex. moog, raybestos, gates, etc. on the opposite end of that the "advantage" or as the industry calls is the "disadvantage" line is usually the cheapest stuff that legally resembles the item it replaces.... also referred to as "factory-like fit" meaning it doesn't fit correctly the first time.

Steering racks in MN12's are a hot topic issue in and of themselves as I'm convinced the 90% of the remans are junk after busting my knuckles installing them and watching them fail between the 5 minute mark and the 1 year mark. On my personal MN12 if I developed a rack issue I'd find a bird in the junkyard with a non-leaking factory one and install new inner and outer tie rods. But, I'm a little bitter of how many I've installed in the past.
You're getting my magnets! LOL

After pulling apart a junk core rack to evaluate DIY rebuilding, and seeing the pitfalls of it, I see exactly why reman racks are hit and miss. 1) The various pinion seals cut grooves into the aluminum casing after many many miles, and I'm betting most remanufacturers either leave them, or they hone out the hole to the point tolerances are fucked. 2) the inner rack seal is extremely difficult to access, and I bet they damage something during the R&R of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
Any time I need something that isn't petty cash, I'll shop around. Amazon, RA, Advance (use those discount codes) etc. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy it locally and pick it up the same day than it is to order and (often) pay for shipping. Not always. If I want to do something immediately I'll usually price out the options - and unless it's ridiculously cheaper to order online and wait (it usually isn't) I'll just buy from whoever is the lowest bidder on the right part.

The only time I had to return anything to RA was when I had the original engine in the Mark - I bought two secondary chain tensioners and replaced the one I thought was making all the noise then came to realize the noise was a spun bearing. So I returned the other one without any issue at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts