TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, my rocker panels have rusted out right under my door only a small amount but is more than likely to finish them off if i dont do somthing about it.

does anyone know where i can get replacement ones...... any for sale???? can i get them from the dealership??? does anyone have any for sale?????

please let me know

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Mine rusted out too. I'm gonna see if my bro's friend's dad can fix them cheap. He did my bro's paint for $300, and he's a pro at it, painted flames into his son's paint. Well, he did all the paint, and molded the sideskirts, fenders and rear bumper all together and then painted it.
You could get some flashing(?), sheet metal you use for repairing holes, and bondo it so it's smooth, paint it or get it painted. Shouldn't cost too much if it's a normal color they might have on hand, or get some paint ordered at O'Reilley's or somewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i had a shop repair mine when the car was keyed last year

heres a before/after

total cost with painting gfx and rockers was $800 along with $1500 of vandalism

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
So are those JCWhitney pannels good? I couldn't find them this time. Are they plastic, or metal? and should I cut the rusty part out? Can you/do you paint them?

·
Registered
118 Posts
they may be oem most likely, HOWEVER, unless you know how to weld, you're in for an *** reaming, $450 per side labor to put them in and that doesnt include the rocker, or the painting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is a catch to all this. If you have a set of rockers that are rotted, chances are that most of the undercarraige has a fair amount of cancer on it. You will most likely need to rig up a set of brackets to weld or rivet them to. The JCWhitney ones are fine, but if you are looking for superior quality and you dont mind plunking down the cash, OEM ones from Ford are the best answer. All said and down, this is usually close to 300 bucks a side, not including painting and finishing.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
So, bondo and flashing cost under $50? Hmm, I think I'll go with that. I do want to get a body kit, so when I get that, it won't matter what my rocker panels look like, just that it doesn't rust through. It doesn't look bad underneath, just dirty. I wonder if I could spray with undercoating if that'd be good, or I heard a lot of cheap paint works, 99 cents a can at Wal-Mart, that's what my friends did on their "muddin' trucks".

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The JC whitney are they good???? how much did you lay down for them??
i checked with the dealership, Ford does not make them any more for 89-96 any more ideas please let me know
thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, i just checked out the JC whitney website they have the replacement ones for the chicken....but it says they go over top of the old one and there is no need for welding or anything..... that doesnt sound too good..... what if the water gets between those peices and rusts out the new ones????? can i just cut out the old one anyway and weld in the new one???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did this ever go anywere?

I also own a 92 5.0 bird and would like to know if you ever found out about the JC whitney rockers and if you can cut out the old one and weld in the new ones. Also im looking for a way to do the repair as cheep as i can without jeperdising quality and strangth in the rocker after the repair. In my case the rockers are the only rust on the car due to the bad aftermarket sunroof install. The drain tubes go in to the rocker and the water sat in their. Thus the rotted pannel. but there is no rust under the car, well for a 92 it was no rust if you know what i meen. Any info would be more then great.

p.s. I would be doing the paint and welding myself and i really dont care to much about cosmetic since im covering it with SC skirts. All i care about is strength in the rocker and rust proofing it so it will not happen again or at least soon.

thanks

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Old ones should just easily come out with a cutting wheel. Make sure the rust is cleared, then weld the new one on (which shouldn't be too expensive, hopefully) and then prime nad paint. Otherwise just cut out the rust (if possible) and weld in some sheet metal. It's covered, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, just that it doesn't spread. But it should just be easy to weld some sheet metal in. And cheap. You just want to make sure there's something to attatch the sideskirts to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats what i was thinking, why not weld in a piece of sheet metal. Think it should be thicker then the factory steel? I was thinking of even welding in some kinda rod or beam of some kind for added strength. If im going to do all this work i would like to make it even stronger then factory. What do you think? Im open to any and all ideas.

Gabriel Caamano
tbird50sport

P.S.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
hmm i didnt think they were obsolete, but i ll check tommarow , i knew the s/c ones were,

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
doh! i got busy today and forgot , ill check for sure tomamrow, justin

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok, heres the deal, the early are replaced by the later, 97 pn, non s/c rh f7sz6310120ab msrp 227.92 lh f7sz6310121ab , msrp 231.98 . in stock in detroit parts depot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts