TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble...typical rocker panel rust-out is beginning on my Cougar. The car is about to be painted, and won't see another winter. Well, it will, but only through the garage window. Anyway, I need to get the rocker panels fixed, but I don't know what to do. I have no interest in the patch panels you put over the existing rockers. Does anyone make a weld in replacement? What's my best option here? HELP!!

Mike

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
best bet is the ford rockers, they are pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
jk98cat - Have you replaced your stock rockers?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes , on my s/c i had , not on the current car. i just patched the kittys.

·
Registered
395 Posts
just wondering also what is the best way to fix the rust? i know bondo wont last more than a few years. so what's the best route?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
zacharyzmn said:
just wondering also what is the best way to fix the rust? i know bondo wont last more than a few years. so what's the best route?
Cut out the rusted areas and weld in new sheet metal.

-Rod

·
Registered
395 Posts
somehow i doubt that's gonna sound good to my wallet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I changed the rockers on my 90 bird Pics in my sound domain page in avatar........I bought them in canada at a local body shop they were stainless steel replacements just cut urs out and weld in new ones.... I think i paid like 150 CDN for both. It is a little bit of work to do if you go to the extent that i did making alot of Fab. Panels to strengthing it up..Good luck with ur search and work....
Jay

·
Registered
395 Posts
wow that sounds like a great price. my main concern is once i fix this i never want to have this problem again. since it's cold wet and salty up here in the winter i need some heavy duty stuff to hold up. i have totally no idea on how to rip em out(guessing with my sawzall) and put new ones in. what kinda fab. panels did you make to strengthen it? and anyone know where i can find some?? no rush not getting her painted till spring.

·
Registered
300 Posts
All i did was basically strengthen the panels underneath by just welding a couple strips behind the rockers and we cut them off at the bottem body line under molding and made our own panel from there down to rocker...turned out well tho.......:)

·
Registered
811 Posts
zacharyzmn said:
somehow i doubt that's gonna sound good to my wallet.
Man I hate to tell you but you get what you pay for. I would shop around with the reprable shops and go from there. Usually cutting corners ends up paying the same if not more later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yea i was just expecting a fairly good amount of dough to repair it. no biggie just gotta save and beg santa!

·
Registered
85 Posts
jay; by chance do you know who manufactured those stainless steel panels? Were they specifically for this application or more universal in design? Also, if you could elaborate on exactly what you did when you stated "we cut them off at the bottem body line under molding and made our own panel from there down to rocker...turned out well tho......" I would appreciate it. I have a little trouble visualizing this simply becuase of my lack of body knowledge.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts