TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, I know this topic has been beat to death and then resurrected about 4000 times, but I haven't seen a price yet.

Has anyone bought rockers from a place such as JC Whitney and had a shop weld them on? CLICKY for rockers

I am showing a couple specks of gold and I was going to have the car painted anyway, so I figured I'd have new rockers welded in before the painting. It's not just surface rust, it's deep (thanks to the sh**ty weld at the bottom of the door), so just grinding, sealing, and painting wouldn't be an option.

Would you buy new rockers and have them welded or simply seal the holes up?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
pesonally i'd cut out well beyond the cancer and replace the steel. if you can salve some of the rock i would just from the standpoint that that will allow for some original sheetmetal to help align the new

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
They call it JC Junk for a reason. I'll never order anything from them ever again. I didn't personally order body steel, but I know someone who did, and ended up sending it back it fit so poorly. I think the outer rockers from Ford are about $200 a side. Sure it's quite a bit more, but they're also going to fit correctly.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Ford discontinued those and weren't stocking them anymore...thus making them nearly impossible to find?

That's super-steep, but I guess if you want it to look good, that's what I'd have to pay.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
not sure, I just looked them up on fordparts.com. If that's the case, I'd hit up racecougar for a good rust free piece. No way would I put JC whitney crap on my car.

-Rob

·
5,650 Posts
You can't trust fordparts.com or any website that uses the Trademotion engine to tell you if a part is discontinued or not. They will list almost every part, whether discontinued or not. I've ordered parts before and then received a message from the dealer I ordered from saying that the part was discontinued.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I ordered the JC Crap and they waited 6 months to tell me that they have to cancel my order due to lack of availability

·
Registered
708 Posts
I figured I'd have new rockers welded in before the painting.
look closer, those arent new rocker panels. they're rocker panel covers. big, big difference. i would avoid them. kinda like stainless trim on a fleetwood, it just hides the damage:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ill check tomamrow when i get into work last i new the 96-97 pn was still good , the s/c ones are dead . and as far as reapir , it depends on the car. and how bad the damage is, on my cat i jsut fixed the hole it was about 10 inch in front of the door, wleded it up and bondoed it, i also have s/c moudling on my car so i didtnt really care as long as it was there. same thing with the tbird. i patched what was there , covered by mouldings on the bird i used that 2 part body expoxy and then , fiberglass filler to smooth it out

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw on a car show where they filled in the hole with what I thought was fiberglass and then basically reformed the rocker from lead.

Is this normal? I've never done body work outside of a little bondo on an El Camino, so I'm a newb here. Should I just go to a few shops and see what they recommend with some prices and go from there?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Sounds like you were watching an episode of Pimp My Ride, oh no wait scratch that. They wouldn't of bothered to lead over the fiberglass. lol

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
there is still new rockers left out there, the new ones are now obsolete. one of the vintage parts houses has just shy of 200 of each number . and some dealers show them as well. . another part bites the dust

1 - 12 of 12 Posts