TCCoA Forums banner

Rod/Main Bearings? size

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  94 Daily Driven 4.6L 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just purchased some rods, nothing special just some used GTs from a 96, I needed press fit wrist pins, anyways a while back I purchased Clevite 77 Rod bearings (CB-1442P) I beleive they are STD. I have new pistons, new bore, on a rebuilt engine. I had my crank checked out last year and I ended up getting STD. main bearings also. Should I sell these ones and get oversize bearings for my crank and rods.

Tom
________

#2 ·
1. You need to check (at least the big end of) the rods to see if they are within spec. If they aren't, throw them away as you can't resize them (at least I don't think you can).

2. Was the crank's rod or main journals turned down to clean them up?

3. Measure the crank journals to see exactly what they are at. (I've seen cranks polished so much that they are almost out of spec.) You can either actually measure them or use plastigauge when you do the assembly and make sure each journal to bearing clearance is good.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Yes that does make sense, I ended up going with a different rod because I purchased the wrong pistons(long story), So I guess Im going to have to take them down to the shop. The reason I was asking is because, I was on SummitRacing.com and noticed they have oversize rod bearings.

When I have the crank checked, I was going to have it polished, but he said that it was fine, told me if it isnt worn out then no need for polishing. So i went with STD. size bearings. Ill probably get it checked out again. Just to be sure

Im just going through my parts inventory and making sure all this sh** is going to fit, what I got to replace, and what not.

I dont plan on taking this engine apart after I assemble it, well atleast for a few years.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.